A Metaphor For It All

On January 27, 2008, in Adventure, by Meghan

Meghan on the bridge over the Rio Grande River in New Mexico during a cross country, crooked trails road trip (June, 2005).

Welcome to Meghan’s Crooked Trails! I hope you like my space. My blog’s name yields from one of my favorite Edward Abbey passages:

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets’ towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl, through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and pinnacles and grottos of endless stone, and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs, where deer walk across the white sand beaches, where storms come and go as lightning clangs upon the high crags, where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you– beyond that next turning of the canyon walls.” (Edward Abbey)

In this passage, Abbey wishes his readers adventurous journeys through nature along “crooked trails” where “tigers belch” and “sunlight blazes.” When I read this passage, I think about my journeys through nature, and also through the rest of my life. Abbey’s words are a metaphor for all of it, I think. While the trails we travel on through nature are almost exclusively crooked, the paths on which we travel through life are sometimes a little curvy as well. In my mind, the best journeys (in nature, in life, in sport, in anything, really) are the crooked ones.

What I’m really trying to do here is to give myself permission to meander through life a little helter-skelter like, and then blog freely about it. And, to be perfectly honest, I’ve been doing the quasi-chaotic-sometimes-organized life meandering with intention and all along, anyways.

Without further superfluous prattling, welcome!

Tagged with:

15 Responses to “A Metaphor For It All”

I’m the first! Yay! First, you should know I moved you up. Then I came to tell you. Then I discovered you moved. Then I corrected your link. Then I came back here…

And if you think that picture of me bonking is looking good, then I think maybe you need glasses! I almost didn’t put it up because it ain’t pretty.

I like the new look here and I look forward to following your crooked trails!

PRETTY!! It’s excellent!

3. duncan says:

Meghan: the new blog looks fantastic.

4. The Salty One says:

Crooked = beautiful. So true. I’m looking forward to see where those crooked trails take you!

5. Lori B says:

Hey Meghan,

Lori from Jackson here, just wanted to wish you the best at RR100. Hope it goes really well and you enjoy your time out there. The body and the mind can do amazing things.

6. corrado giambalvo says:

Bello!

7. jeff says:

yay! welcome to the new home. i like the layout and pics

Whta’s up with that?! Looks very nice here! Will be thinking of you this weekend, be cinfident as we are in you!

9. KendraBo says:

Love the color scheme (how long did you play with templates? I get completely carried away on that front!!) I will also be thinking of you and wishing you the best at RR, Megalopolooza!

Blog looks fantastic!

good luck at RR100!
    Look for Anita Fromm (bib#94 in the 100) and Paul Grimm (#666 <- oh, possessed-one - sometimes known as the "Grimm Reaper"). Anita RD'd Goblin Valley and Paul single-handedly manned the 1st/last aid station when you ran Goblin. Hey, about “crooked” – don’t stray off-course at Rocky. Dat be berry, berry bad!

Oh, so much love! You guys and gals are too much. Thanks!

Michelle- You DO NOT look like you’re bonking, I promise! You look “exercised,” but not miserable, at all!

Audrey, Duncan, and Salty- Thanks!

Lori B- Thanks for the comment! This is really going to be all about the mind, isn’t it? How are you?

Corrado and Jeff- Grazie and thanks!

Olga- Thank you so much for the vote of confidence!

Kendrabo- I played probably too long! I knew I wanted reds and oranges, it was a matter of getting everything to look how I wanted it. Thanks!

JeffO- Thanks so much! I see a lot of familiar names on the starting list, so I will be keeping my eyes peeled.

Crooked trails, Rattler Belching, and in Washington we live for when “The Mt. is out”.

Edward Abbey inspired Michelle and I with “The Monkey Wrench Gang” back in the late 70’s. Not so inspired to destroy heavy equipment but more to appreciate the pristine wilderness.

Some people are content driving a sports car down a straight road. Others crave the excitement of flying around the curves. Pushing the car right up to its limits. Buckle up; we are in for a hell of a ride!

About BLOGSPOT friggin Time!! LOL

Welcome Meghan!! your Blog looks Awesome, Congrats

Below is a link to ANY Hex color ur heart desires…

You just enter that code in the little code box & POOF “U got it” so while blogspots color charts are a bit limited the gates are now open with this chart–Enjoy!

ANY color U chose Click Here

Cheers!!

New blog looks great Meghan!!

Eric- Are you a scary driver? I don’t know if I want a sports car ride from you!

Bob- I knew you would say exactly that!

Beth- Thanks!