My RR100 Training Program

On January 29, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

Over on my old blog, “danni” inquired about my training for the Rocky Raccoon 100. Let me summarize by saying that I’ve only been intentionally training for RR100 for the last 3 months. Everything that came before that was happenstance to the RR100 cause. Here’s the abbreviated story:

April through August: Let’s just be polite and say that this was a long period of base building. I won’t go into the gory details (Many of you have already suffered through those over on my old blog as they happened.), but I spent much of the summer running a lot of easy miles on trails in mountainous terrain. I did long runs every 2 weeks that included a full day of (6-8 or so hours) trail running in the mountains. I also ran in several races, participatory-style, up to the 50K distance.

Beginning of September: I ran what should have been my summer’s goal race, the Grand Teton 50 Miler. I had a great experience, but ran a lot slower than I wanted to since my summer training didn’t pan out well.

September and October: I took a relative break from running during these 2 months, with much lower mileage. I was still doing a long day in the mountains every 2 weeks, but I cut my weekday volume down. During the weeks, I ran some speedwork with the high school cross country runners that I coach. With the lower overall volume, I was able to do speedwork with some success. In this time, I was mulling over my poorly performed summer, and wondering if I could salvage something out of it all. With those mullings, the RR100 idea was hatched.

November through January: Once I committed to doing RR100, I began training specifically for the race and its terrain. Basically, my weeks have consisted of 14-19 training hours broken down into 8-12 hours running, 2-4 hours cardio cross training, 2-3 hours lifting, and 1-2 hours yoga. My weekly runs have been 1 long run (mostly in the 4-7 hour range with 1 Grand Canyon Rim2Rim2Rim run thrown in there), 2 tempo/speed workouts, 1 general aerobic/technique run, and scattered recovery runs. The cardio cross training has included spinning on my bike trainer, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing; some cross training workouts were designated as general aerobic, others as recovery workouts. I took 1 rest day each week, and most other days were characterized by either 2 or 3 workouts. I did most of my running on surfaces specific to my race, rolling dirt roads and trails.

Looking back, I think this has been (both unintentionally and intentionally) great training for the RR100. I had several months of building a big fat base. Then I had a few months of lower volume but high quality. Then I had a few race-specific training months.

So, that wasn’t exactly abbreviated, was it?

9 Responses to “My RR100 Training Program”

OOOPS I was in My tester blog…OK I am back–LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best Wishes Meghan on your First of many 100 Milers, Ur Ready & Ur a Strong, Disciplined runner…

Keep that smile going throughout the race & KEEP Ahead of that Fueling part!!

I will be cheering you on in Spirit this Weekend!! Have a blast & come back with some Good Pics & a GOOD time (ummm race time?!) well that’s up to you but Good “Fun” Time nonetheless.

This is ur first, ENJOY It!!

Yeah!!! You sounds fabulously ready and pumped!!!

Kick some booty Meghan!!

3. Mary says:

Meghan – your training sounds great! You are mentally and physically prepared. The race should be very enjoyable. You have an amazing crew and have done some great runs to prepare for the 100. The new blog looks great. I love the template! Can’t wait to hear about the race. Enjoy every moment of it.

Meghan, you’ll do well.
    Your training is much more complex than most ultrarunners bother with, which is a good thing. Too many ultrarunners neglect stretching and speedwork.
    Wish I could be there either running or cheering you on. I’ll be thinking of you and my other friends down there.
    Keep a level head. Stay disciplined and stick to a plan.

Wow — sounds like VERY solid training. Thanks for sharing. I suspect you will have an awesome race. I’m amazed that you can keep your volume up AND do tempo runs. Maybe I can get to that point eventually. Thanks so much for sharing.

That is one great training program! Be careful and put a “stamp” on it before it’s stolen:) Now go!

Hi, y’all (I’m re-preacticing my Texas drawl. I haven’t been to Texas in over a year.)!

Bob- Thanks for the props! I will be focusing so much on good fueling!

Audrey- Thank you so much!

Mary- Coming from you, someone who has WON a 100 miler, your words are so meaningful. Thank you!

JeffO- I have a good plan, and oh-so-badly I hope I can stick to it. Thanks!

Danni- Thanks! When I was younger, I could increase my volume and run speedwork at the same time. This year, I’ve learned that my body worked well with an adjustment period. First, low volume with high quality, then increase the volume and maintain the quality. It worked well, and I plan to train this way again.

Olga- Thanks!

8. Rochelle says:

I just started running in Aug/Sept of last year. I ran my first 5k and then an 8 mile. I suffered a stress fracture that is taking forever to go away. But I just started training to increase my time and then I will train for a half. I figured I should find some blogs that will motivate me!!! Okay… you have more than motivated me! WOW! So impressed!

Rochelle- Thanks for the very sweet comment! I am thrilled to hear that I am able to inspire you! Keep on keepin’ on!