DNF at Rocky

On February 3, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

Thank you all for the nice comments and good wishes. I really appreciate them.

I’m briefly dropping in to let you all know that I didn’t finish RR100. I dropped out after about 13 hours at mile 73 due to dehydration. It hit me like a brick wall and I got really sick (But, it was all my fault.). I will write a lot more about it later, but I’m in that sort of shocked, depressed decompression mode about the whole thing right now.

Thanks again for the support along the way. This blogging community is a great one.

20 Responses to “DNF at Rocky”

Sorry to hear about your DNF! Of course I have no doubt that you will use this to propel you to great things! But first – hope you are healing and recovering well. Thinking of you!!

2. Alison says:

I’m very sorry to hear about your disappointment. I am still extremely impressed by 73 miles, so I hope that someday you’ll be able be impressed by yourself as well. In the meantime, good luck with your recovery and go easy on yourself!

Meghan,
    I’m sure you made the best decision and that it was so, so hard to make. I’m also sure you are second-guessing it. (Remember, Eric experienced something similar at WS last June, it took both of us a few days to decompress and get over the shock). You’ll figure it out and bounce back – I have great faith in you. Be gentle on yourself and get home safe!

Wow, what a day. 73 miles, isn’t that about like running the whole north loop in Yellowstone? Wow πŸ™‚ I know it’s short of your goal, and that’s always hard to swallow. Still! I’m cheering for you! Way to tackle a major endeavor! I have no doubt you’ll be back and will be able to apply the lessons learned! In the meantime, take care of yourself! Rest, recover, and … hit the ski slopes? I will look for you! πŸ™‚

Anne

Meghan,

As I found out a WS100 you can’t second guess your decision to drop. I’m sure you are feeling really bummed out but you can go away from the run with many lessons learned.

I know that my DNF at WS gave me the burning desire to complete CCC100.

Hope you feel better and rest up. Congratulations on making it 73 miles!

Trail Scat

13 hours at mile 73…
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    YOU were cranking Meghan…just a tough lesson learned on ur first 100 and U fell behind on that thing called Fueling…No worries u will figure it out!!

Now I am a slow peep & yes need to worry about fuel also BUT ur DNF is actually pretty common for newbies who have SPEED from what I have read over the past year, the miles catch up and u just need to stay ahead…and NO DOUBTS You WILL the Next time!!

Recover Well Hun πŸ™‚ & look forward to ur re-cap.

7. chelle says:

Wow….it definitely really hits me now what a huge thing you faced off against. To be in a spot where you’d gone so, SO far and yet had more than a marathon in front of you. It’s a daunting goal you’ve set for your self and hearing that it kicked your incredibly strong and capable behind this time around will make me think first the next time I casually say, oh yeah, I’ll do a 100 miler someday…

8. Mary says:

Meghan, you had a great pace going! Staying hydrated is really tough! I hope you are taking care of yourself! Know there are many many more adventures ahead of you. This is only the beginning to a very long ultra/adventure career. You are quite young and have much to look forward to!! Take care of yourself and know that LOTS more is ahead of you. You have without a doubt learned a ton from this event! You’ll be out there before you know it planning and scheming for more. Until then be good to yourself!

9. The Salty One says:

Aw man! How frustrating. After all that hard work and after all the pre-race hope of coming out of there with a 100 miles under your belt. If it’s any consolation I more or less DNF’d a 4 mile race this weekend myself.

In a short race like that I can say, “eh, bad day, whatever.” But after completing 73% of a 100 miles, after committing to something so grand so deeply, I know it’s far more than just disappointing. There are negative things about it that will nag at you I am sure. However, the positives, the many lessons I’m sure you learned about racing long and about yourself, are the real winners here and I hope thoughts of them crowd out those little nags.

And seriously… Congratulations! You just ran 73 miles!

It was a fantastic effort, Meghan. Racing is great for you. You did good. Believe me, BTDT and I know how you feel. I know part of the process is this funky part at first, but i also know you’re strong enough bounce back. This wasn’t a defeat – it’s just part of the process.
    Last summer, at Hard Rock, I almost paced for Odin C. He’s done so many hundreds and even done HR several times, but he DNF’d before he was even allowed a pacer because he couldn’t keep anything down.
    So see – it even happens to veterans!
    If it was easy it wouldn’t be worth it.
    I’ve met people who’ve never DNF’d, but they worked their way gradually to 100 over a span of a decade or more. You and I tried to do it in a span of a couple of years. If someone is going to try to accelerate from 7 – 100 in 2 years, they better expect some DNF’s as a possibility.
    You’re going to do this, and you’ll do it very well. You’re one of my biggest inspirations.

You ran far and there is no shame in running 70+ miles! DNFs happen, and I’m sure you made the best decision. Next time you will know so much more and will conquor.

And yes, I, too, know exactly how you feel…especially for the first time, and when gone so far, and had had such a fast time…but know that you will recover from the funk. Now, after 2 DNF’s, I think they were the most important lessons for me in my whole ultrarunning. Although is still sucks, no way around it. Let your grief in, then calm down and analyze. It is “just running” as kendra said, and at the end not only you came out alive and healthy, but mentally stronger. Wise decisions are the tough ones. Stupid are easier to make. Be good, Meghan, write whenever you feel you’re ready. Big hug to you, girl, and your burning fire to run will prosper. Love to you.

13. Thomas says:

Really sorry to hear that. Still, please post your experiences. It might stop one of the rest of us making the same mistake, and it might be a way to work through all that for you.

14. jeff says:

each race is a learning experience. hang in there and pick yourself up soon. there are plenty more 100mi races out there with your name on them!

seriously, though? 73 miles boggles my mind.

πŸ™ You’ll be back Meghan. NO DOUBT. Recover well and fully my dear. I hope it was a great adventure-with an even greater one ahead of you in the future!

16. KendraBo says:

I think being sick and nauseated beyond the point of going on is just the hardest thing ever to deal with. I thought Chelle put it so well… that there was still a whole entire marathon left even after 73 miles (huge! huge! that you did that many!!) really puts it into perspective. I agree to be gentle on yourself and try to not overthink anything at this point. You’re a star in my book. I’ve never run anything close to that. Thanks for keeping your breathless fans informed. We care!

17. Lori B says:

Meghan,

Sorry to hear about the race, but you should feel proud of the journey you took to get to the starting line and getting out there for 73 incredibly fast miles. And really, you’re a tough Wyoming mountain girl and those flats just kill us, we need to climb πŸ™‚ All the best, Lori

18. Mrs Spumoni says:

Meghan –
    Bummer! Can’t wait to tell Inky Wu that you ran 73 miles, though. That’s pretty much all the way from Gardiner to Bozeman! You do rock.

19. crowther says:

I too was sorry to hear that it didn’t work out for you. 100-milers are kind of a different animal, aren’t they? As everyone is saying, the next one will probably go better…. But if you decide that 100s just aren’t your thing, that’s OK too.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR POSITIVE, UPLIFTING, AND KIND THOUGHTS!

Beth- I am sorry, too! Hah! πŸ™‚ I am feeling physically almost healed at this point. Recovery is treating me well. Thanks for the kind wishes!

Alison- It is so hard to go easy on myself, but you are definietly right. I have been “what if”-ing my way through the last 12 days, and it’s time to stop! Thanks!

Michelle- It was the right decision, and I didn’t second guess myself that night, or even the next day. But after I started feeling beeter, boy, did the second-guessing begin (even though I know I did the right thing)! Thank you so much!

Anne- Thanks for putting my experience into a unique perspective! We should meet up for a ski sometime soon!

Eric- I now very much understand how fast and furious your desire to run CCC100 was after your DNF. Boy, do I ever understand. Thank you so much for your positive thoughts!

Bob- Thank you! I was running hard, and I was trying to run hard. That was one of my goals out there, you know? I will be back, I assure you. πŸ˜‰

Chelle- It was quite daunting to think of going another 27 miles in the state that I was in. Or even after I somewhat recovered from the state I was in. However, I had already covered such a large distance that the scale of relativity made it seem less ridiculous. Thank you very much!

Mary- You are right on every account! I have learned so much, I do have many more miles to run in my life, and I am scheming already. Thank you for putting this into persective for me!

Salty- Right now the positive and negative thoughts sit about equal in my brain. But, that’s alright, I think, for now. I’m trying to re-direct the negative thoughts by reminding myself that my RR100 DNF is experience added for the next go-round. Thank you!

JeffO- The positive energy that exudes from you comment is so uplifting! I can’t thank you enough. This tastes bittersweet right now, but it sure fuels my fire! I think you know exactly what I mean!

Danni- Thank you! I feel a little shame, but only for making the mistake that I did. But I have learned, and I will take the knowledge on with me to the next goal.

Olga- I sure wish I could receive that hug in person, but I can feel the love from your comment. You are so wise and so experienced in the realm of running 100’s; it make me want to absorb every little detail of your knowledge base! Thank you!

Thomas- Thanks! I will shortly begin writing about my RR100 DNF. And, yes, if a single person can learn from my mistake, it will be worth it. πŸ™‚

Jeff- I am keeping my head up; thank you for the reminder. You are right, there is another 100 mile race out there for with my name on it. I am already making eyes at some of them. Hah!

Audrey- You win some and you lose some, don’t you? That’s just how life goes. I will stay positive, and I will be back. thank you!

Kendra- I do need to be more gentle on myself. Thank you for telling me to be kind! Even though things didn’t work out as I wanted them to, I still chalk this up to an amazing life experience. And, as I’ve said in other comments, it sure lit up a fire in my pants for the next one.

Lori- Thank you for the positive commentary! One of the things I learned at RR100 was that I can run the flats well. Who knew, being from these here mountains?

Mrs. Spumoni- What in the world are you doing on the computer? Get back to your sun spot on the carpet! I hope you and Inky Wu are not too disappointed with me, but I will get it right next time! Thank you!

Greg- I will definitely give this thing a go again. It’s funny, though, this didn’t seem that different from other long events. The same, just longer. Go figure. Thank you for your support!