Challenge Check-In And Biking Outside(!)

On March 12, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

So, gals and guys, it’s been a week. How’s it going for y’all in the complaining department?

I’ll be honest. This week, I’ve let a couple of complaints squeak out either into my head or out of my mouth. My complaining this week was mostly centered around simultaneously working the night shift and training hard (In case anyone wonders, these two elements of life do not fit together. Seriously, don’t try it. I shouldn’t do it, either.) and being perpetually tired as a result. However, I’m using this challenge to help me recognize my thoughts and words as complaints and re-shape them towards something slightly more positive. So, on to the second week of the challenge.

Anyone else want to fess up?

Now, let’s talk about biking. Beth was really excited that she got to bike outside last week, and I’m happy to report that on Monday I biked outside for the first time this year! My training schedule and the weather aligned, producing 41 degree F weather on a cross training day. I rode 1:30 on the bike, including about 1800 feet of climbing (There’s nothing flat ’round these parts.)

That didn’t include the stop I made to wait for a loitering bison in the road (Actually, he was a big, stubbon bull bison who wouldn’t move. I eventually rode past him with a car in between him and I as a shield.). It also didn’t count the the skidding, sudden (and only somewhat safe) stop I made on a big descent for a coyote standing in the middle of the road. The poor coyote was as shocked as I was, jumping about a foot into the air before it ran off into the bushes. In all, a great re-introduction to outside biking.

12 Responses to “Challenge Check-In And Biking Outside(!)”

ummm….i’m trying hard!! but i’ve complained. mostly ridiculous things. i don’t want to go to work. i don’t want to get in the pool. i should be happy i have the priviledge to do these things!!! but i really just want to lie around with a jar of peanut butter and chocolate chips and watch downloaded tv and read all day… πŸ™‚ spring is clearly coming though!!!

I’ve been mitigating a covenant dispute in our neighborhood. The no complaining exercise is going to need to wait just a bit until the issue is behind our community. Something about widows being sued by a self elected band of covenant police just frosts my berries! Yes, it’s nuttier than squirrel shit too!

I don’t know how you switch to nights and then days. The transition time to adjust must really throw your sleep off. Good work on getting in what you can!

How’s it going for y’all in the complaining department?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Complain Dept. through me out today and said “don’t come back πŸ™‚

I got out for a run today and you ready for this I did 60 minutes —wooo hooo …since I can’t complain anymore I will just say ummm I did the 60… SIX ZERO

Be safe on that bike…ok!!

4. chelle says:

Funny, just tonight I was telling a couple of people at work about this and I said, I don’t know how she does it without at least a little complaining, what with working long overnights and training for ultras.

I’m doing okay. I saw a screening of a new documentary last night where these three guys ran across the Sahara averaging 45 miles a day for 111 days and it makes my daily average of 13 this week look positively wimpy.

Well, I might have complained a bit about the same issue as Eric. It’s bad news around here right now. But, no running complaining, no work complaining. That’s pretty good!

Depending on the definition of “complaining” I’ve done a bit myself. But I’m definitely doing better!! And YEAH for outside riding!!!! It’s the best (sans coyote and bison of course) isn’t it?!?! πŸ™‚

I got no complains:) Even when I really was expected to. I am kind of in a good spot right now, scary one, but accepting it as a stage of life that will pass.

8. SteveQ says:

Just discovered your blog. I’ll see you at Chippewa! The men’s race is going to be supercompetitive.

Hi Y’all!

Audrey- Try harder (said with a momma’s tone and a pointing finger). Just kidding. πŸ˜‰ I do hope this next week of the challenge is more successful for you!

Eric- Methinks that you and your wife are exempt from the challenge when it comes to that neighborhood issue. I empathize with you that!

Bob- See, there were no complaints in that comment! You’re doing well!

Chelle- Suffice it to say, I’m not sure you should compare yourself to those fellas in the Sahara. 13 miles per day is a great average! And, yes, I get SO tired (Not a complaint, just a factual statement here!)!

Michelle- See my comment for Eric above. Oh, and GOOD LUCK this weekend!

Beth- It’s all about the improvement factor, or at least that’s how I like to look at it. If that’s the case, then we are both doing well with the challenge!

Olga- It takes a solid heart and soul to navigate the waters you’re in happily. You are a very strong woman.

Steve- Thanks for stopping by and I will look forward to meeting you as well.

10. Carilyn says:

I’m having such a hard time with this one! Yikes! But it has been great to have a reason to pay attention to the complaining. But I’m glad you keep it on the front burner for us!

I haven’t made it one day. I’m a computer tech. So, explaination needed? LOL
    It’s been the most brutal week on record for stuff where I follow instructions for complex tasks very well but hardware and software aren’t working as designed. I specialize in that. If there’s a way, I can find it – but sometimes it takes days – when I’m crunched for time – to do a task that should optimally take 3-30 minutes. Stuff like that typically happens every month or two. I’ve been seeing stuff like that daily, sometimes twice, for over a week.
    Excuses.
    It’s still a great challenge, and I think I learn more when it’s more difficult.

Glad you can get some great rides in outside. We all have Spring Fever!

Wow! Bicycling outside! I don’t dare, here… we have had fairly warm days (35-40 degrees) but there is still so much snow that my local roads are not quite up to two lanes yet, the snow covers the entire shoulder and part of each lane, so I’m going to hold off for a while more! πŸ™‚ Not that we have *that* much traffic to contend with, but there’s enough. I’ll stay indoors on the trainer for now!

Besides, we got a couple more inches of snow today, so… never mind. No complaints, though! I heart snow. πŸ™‚

anne