June’s 20 Miler

On March 17, 2008, in Lifestyle, Running, by Meghan

Here's a picture of me in winter. Can you see my snow mustache?

After all this time, my mother is finally letting me write a blog entry for my latest long run. Okay, fine, our latest long run.

Do let my mom fool you, not for one minute! She might run a lot, but she does not get up early like other runners I know about. I mean to say that I waited all morning for her to wake up, or so it seemed. When she finally awoke, she still wasn’t ready to run. She had to drink coffee! I waited as patiently as a Border Collie can wait, staring at the door for what seemed like an eternity. You might think that it’s a little odd to stare at a door. But, since I’m a Border Collie, I have to watch things to see if they move.

Finally, it was time to run! My mom gathered up her bottles from that cabinet (Yes, I know which cabinet.), pulled out clothes from that drawer (I know that drawer, too.), and tied the blessed running shoes (I’m a Border Collie, so I know these things!). I stared at the door, now whining excitedly until, wait for it, the door moved!

Here's a picture from after my first run in Wyoming, almost 3 years ago. Border Collies love to run!

After the short drive to the trailhead, we quickly headed down the trail (Well, I should say that quickly is a relative term because I run slowly when my mom is attached to me with a leash.). First things first, I saw a dog from about a mile away. I pulled at the leash and whined, but that didn’t get me any closer to the dog, so we ran on. Next thing I know, I was minding my own business, running along with my ears and tongue flapping in the breeze, when out of nowhere I heard gunshots! I am a Border Collie and I don’t like loud noises, so I ran really fast to get away from the noise (But, again, fast is a relative term when my mother is around.). Soon I had forgotten all about the gunshots because we arrived at the creek and I drank fresh, icy water. Right after the creek crossing, we ran past a dead deer with no head. It smelled really good, but my mom wouldn’t let me eat it. I was having so much fun that I didn’t even notice the miles pass by. Without much warning, we made it to the next drinking spot. Here there were two men fishing, but they didn’t seem to care that I took a little water.

A little while later, my mom stopped and turned around. I’m a Border Collie and I do not like turning around! There was nothing I could do but to keep on leading Meghan with my leash, so I turned around, too. I forgot about being upset for turning around because I saw tons of deer and pronghorn antelope! There were so many everywhere that I had to concentrate really hard on running straight ahead and not at them. I’m a Border Collie and I like my herds gathered neatly together. This disarray of ungulates was not neat! When we arrived at the creek crossing for drinking again, I could hardly stand to get in the creek for all the wildlife around. Once I realized that we were at the creek, I dove in and even sat down so I could get all wet and muddy!

This is me in my creek. I just jump right in!

The run ended much faster than I wanted it to. But, let me tell you, I was dirty! At the last minute, when I could see the car again, I even squished around in the nastiest mud of the whole day! When we get home and I’m all muddy, I get to lay on pile of cozy towels until I’m dry and clean again. And, I get lots of treats! Once I’m clean, I lay down on my rug to watch the goings-on, but I often can’t stay awake. I lie on my side, shut my eyes ever so slowly, and drift off into a long dog nap. My mom says I often have running dreams during these naps where I kick my legs and make woofing noises while I’m sleeping. I know I’m just remembering my day on the trail.

I’ve got to tell you one last thing, though. See if you can keep it a secret, okay? I’m starting to get just a bit old. And, I have a little arthritis around an old puppy war wound. These days, 20 miles is about as far as I can go before I get too tired and sore. But, really, 20 miles is just a warm-up for the mind of a Border Collie! Someday not too far off, I’m not going to be able to run like I used to,

I admit it, sometimes I get tired, too.

even when my mind wants to go forever. I don’t know exactly what I’m going to do with myself when I can’t run much. How do you retire a body when a mind is still young? I don’t have any answers, but I can’t help but wonder if humans ever have this problem, too. So, for now, we’ll all just keep on running.

Tagged with:

15 Responses to “June’s 20 Miler”

The story is so wonderful – and she looks so tired after…mommy, can you be nice to her next week? 🙂

2. jeff says:

aww. june, i think we all, dogs and humans alike, have to deal with a lively mind coupled with a failing shell at some point.

it’s part of life, june, and it’s at that point that we can put our enthusiasm into telling young people about what we once did, in hopes that they too can have the joy that we once partook.

3. Iris says:

I loved reading this story! Thanks for sharing it.

what a fun story! 🙂 Much to be learned from a dog — always something to be happy and excited about! 🙂

Yes, June, we humans suffer too. Tell Meghan to give you some glucosimine – that took our Sundae’s limp away. She’s getting old too, but I bet you’d have fun together. Her long runs have dwindled to a slow walk around the neighborhood or the school yard, then she sleeps like she ran 20. Think of her, a happy chocolate lab, next time you’re out running and send her some of those doggie dreams…

Do you have “taper madness” or do you just have a bad case of spring fever? Great story from the dogs perspective!

Trail Scat

7. Alisha says:

What a great entry, beautiful… beautiful dog too!

I loved your story and pictures June!!! You sound (and even look a little) like our dog Roxy who looooooooves to run too! You two have to meet someday and going running until your heart’s content! 🙂

9. The Salty One says:

June is the cutest thing ever! I am jealous. My cats refuse to run with me. When I take them out they always run in the opposite direction! Ingrates! Hehe.

In other news, I saw this today and thought of you. It was just a matter of time…

So many nice comments, but did you bring me treats?

Olga- I was tired! But I was also ever alert in case something else exciting happened. I’m a Border Collie and I don’t like to miss out on the fun!

Jeff- So, are you saying I need to argue a case for getting a little puppy to play with? I’m not sure my mom would go for that.

Iris- Thanks for reading!

Anne- Yes, this complaining commitment that my mother’s doing? To a Border Collie, that’s just plain silly! I never have a complaint!

Michelle- Oh would I ever like to meet and walk a little with Sundae! I do eat glucosamine every day, but my biggest problem is that I once broke my femur (as a puppy, before I came to my mom). Now there’s permanent wire wrapped around the bone inside my leg. It sounds sad but having that surgery has given me years and years of running time, no different from any other Border Collie!

Eric- I dunno what I have. But if you give me treats, I’ll have anything!

Alisha- Thank you!

Beth- I’ve heard all about Roxy and she sounds like she’s right up my alley! We could play with snowballs together.

Salty- Hi! Sometimes I watch my neighbors cats then they go on walks. They wear leashes just like me, but they don’t go very far! Once they went on the roof and that was a big problem!

Awww. June you are a beautiful doggie. It’s too bad you couldn’t show those herds how to organize.

Hi June….U are soooo lucky to have a Mom that takes u on a long run… most Humans just sit on their asses–LOL

Glad ur Mom let u get a little blog time… and please keep on protecting & watching out for her….ur doing a great job.

Oh and tell ur Mom to call me so I can whine a bit to her –LMAOOOO

June! Your first blog post and you’re already better at it than any of us!
    I’m so glad you’re a smart Border Collie. I once read a blog post by an Labrador Retriever and it went something like this…
    “Oh boy!
    “Oh boy oh boy oh BOY!
    “Oh boy.
    “OH BOY!
    “Oh, oh, oh! OH BOY!”
    I could go on, but I think you get the gist of it.

As for a failing body, I’ve come close to dieing a few times. Each time, I thought, “I’m so glad I lived – as in ‘did lots of grand stuff'” And then afterwards the affect was to want to do even more “stuff”, so that if I survive to get old and can no longer do anything, I have an endless store of memories to pull from so that I can whinnie and woof in my sleep.

I’m so excited to hear from all of you! Just as excited as I was three days ago when all the snow melted and I found 3 toys that I’d lost this winter. Border Collies love toys so it was like Christmas!

Danni- I would love to herd the pronghorns. They are the most skittish when they jump and bounce and run in all different directions. What a challenge they would be!

Bob- I told my mom you wanted her to call and she said, “I’m not calling Bob until he agrees to not complain on the phone.” 😉

JeffO- I read the lab post you wrote, and I said, “Yep, sounds like all the labs I know!”

Now, go play everyone! It snowed here last night and I have all kinds of snow to jump in today!

15. […] team, I’m back! Like, finally. It has been years since my mom let me post on her blog. Gosh, a lot has happened since then, so let me catch you up. Here I am on my last long […]