Bluebirded

On March 24, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

It must really be spring because I got bluebirded yesterday. In 3 hours and 10 minutes on trail, I ran 21 miles with 1700 feet of elevation gain. During that time, I saw literally hundreds of mountain bluebirds flitting about. They were happily flying in blue streaks back and forth across the trails, in singles, pairs, or groups of over a dozen individuals. Their presence was somewhat ironic because the weather was altogether un-spring-like. It was warm-ish, but the wind was outrageous, making the world an ugly dust bowl. They seemingly cared not a bit about the wind as they foraged about.

On another note, my piriformis is not in good condition. I have no hip/butt pain while I work out, so I continue to forge ahead with my schedule. However, sitting is becoming routinely and increasingly uncomfortable. Dare I say that I’m -almost- injured? Tomorrow I’m putting my arse into a PT professional’s hands for some predictably painful manipulations that will hopefully begin the process of straightening out my hip. If you have any extra positive energy to share, I could sure use it. I don’t want to end up on the injured list this early in the year.

12 Responses to “Bluebirded”

OK, here’s the top-secret piriformis cure. Don’t tell anyone because it would probably put PT’s out of business and our son Riley is training to become a PT.

Take a 3-mile run that will allow you to climb up above snow line. Make sure nobody is around for miles. Strip down to your birthday suit and plop your arse into a deep snowbank. Sit there for 10 min. or until the bluebirds laughter becomes too loud. Repeat as necessary.

Let me know how that works out for you!

Trail Scat

All jesting aside, when my piriformis acted up I would run in the morning, ride my bike 3 miles to the train, and sit on an ice bag during the 45 min train ride to Seattle. Hopefully the PT will find the trigger points and work it out for you. Best of luck!

Oh darn it Meghan!! I was hoping that piriformis would just start to behave on it’s own. I’ve never had that injury before so I don’t have any words of wisdom but you are doing the right thing by taking care of it early – PT, ice, stretch, Advil, repeat, repeat, repeat!! And with a little TLC it will hopefully go away as quickly as my shoulder pain. Hang in there. Sending lots of good piriformis vibes your way!!!

4. The Salty One says:

Don’t tell mrp about your bluebirds. You’ll make him cry πŸ™‚

Sorry about the butt. I’ve been there, basically on and off for three years! I’ve run through it everytime with the help of my PT. Electrostim, ultrasaound, and massage really help! Oh and the tennis ball in between appointments saved my ass πŸ™‚ Sorry, couldn’t resist!

How about modifications to your seating? Can you raise/lower the chair? Can you put a litte footstool under your desk for your feet? Are you ergonomically correct?

I believe in either the tennis ball or the white foam roller – they both work wonders. Good luck! (Oh, and that Eric guy, sheesh! Where’d he come from?)

I believe in tennis ball and ART, I just wish I had time/money/memory to do either/all:) Good luck!

Ouch. That, and the gluteos minimus next to it, have more than their fair share of nerve endings.
    I keep having pains, and every time I tell a doctor or therapist, the treatment is the same: rub it. Dig nuckles into it, elbows, and anything else that will cause me agony. So now, if I can reach it, I do it myself.
    The difference in treatment would depend on if it’s a chronic development from accumulated stress, or an acute injury. Chronic stress causes hard spots with little or no circulation. Hard spots require the hardest, most painful therapies. Injuries, though, require a gentler and far more frequent massage to maximize circulation.
    If we put in tons of miles, accumulating maximum stress, then we do speed-work with those stressed muscles, ligaments, and tendons, there’s a greater risk of acute tearing from speed-work. In this case, there might be symptoms of both chronic and acute injuries.
    I hope you and your PT figure it out.
    Positive vibes: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nooooooooooooo getting injured this year, get ur arse fixed ok πŸ™‚

positive Vibes ur way by more Bluebirds….watch out though cause I am feeding them good, as I program them with Positive mojo

You are really fast!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind and positive comments. I have needed them so much! Things are a little better in the hip/butt, but not yet fixed.

Eric- Alright, I’m going to try your idea, but I have a question. If I’ve been instructed to do contrast therapy with making my hip alternating-ly cold, then hot, then cold, then hot, how should I do that out there on the mountain? And will that also make the bluebirds laugh?

Beth- Thanks for the positive energy and thoughts! I’m hoping for a speedy recovery like your shoulder, too!

Salty- I’ve been living on top of my tennis ball. My coworkers are no longer in shock to see me carry that thing everywhere. If it can save your arse, I hope it can save mine! πŸ™‚

Michelle- Thanks for the idea about my chair. I adjusted it so I can sit “indian-style,” which alleviates the discomfort and allows that tennis ball to sit in the right spot.

Olga- Oh man, I’m with you on the time and money thing. But, as I said above, I’m living with my tennis ball for now. πŸ™‚

JeffO- You’re right about the running on stressed connective tissues. I think this hip thing has been traced back to my ankle sprain in the Grand Canyon. I sprain my ankle in November, my body runs with compensation for a few weeks, I develop a hip issue, the hip issue occurs every few weeks. Viola!

Bob- So lovely to speak with you yesterday, if only for a bit! Thanks for the positive energy. I can feel it!

Danni- I only did 5 miles on technical trails since so little is dry and snow-free. The rest was on wide, rolling single track and dirt roads where you can keep the pace up. Some long runs are faster or slower than others, I go by feel. Thanks, though, you’re sweet!

My dad is a bluebird fanatic! He is a bird nerd and would be VERY jealous. We get different birds migrating through right now which we don’t normally see and it is cool to here unfamiliar songs in the forest!

Don’t worry until you find out for sure what your pain in the ass is. Hopefully, you’ll get it figured out – good that you are going in for help. Are you sure it’s piriformis pain? Years ago, I had some sciatic pain that started as a mind numbing throb in my ass and was VERY surprised when I was told it was something in my back! Lately, I’ve had success with active release therapy to work out the achee-painees. Give it a go! Sending you the juju!

Leslie

Good!! I’m glad to hear you are taking your tennis ball everywhere!! I am all about taking my ice pack to work and school and I think at a certain point you just have to do what you have to do πŸ™‚ Take care Meghan!!!