Again! Again!

On March 30, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

After 11 hours of sleep and the consumption of several thousand calories (That sounds kind of gross, doesn’t it?), I woke up ready for another day of play. As I ate (an absolutely huge) breakfast, I took stock of my body. I could feel some fatigue in my legs and the tops of my calves were a bit sore from yesterday’s snowshoe adventure. More interesting, however, was my sunburn. It was cloudy for much of the day yesterday, but the UV Index must have been insane because my face had burned, and so had the roof of my mouth (Think this is crazy and impossible? Click here and scroll down to “sunburn” to find out what happens when people spend all day on white snow with their mouths open, gasping for oxygen.)! For anyone who’s even moderately interested, sunburn on the roof of your mouth feels just like burning it with food/drink that’s too hot.

All systems were go for slathering SPF 45 on my face and hiding under a brimmed hat, keeping my mouth shut, and getting out there to run a marathon today. I ran 26 miles in 3:46 on a mixture of single-track trails and dirt roads, with about 1500 feet elevation gain.

It was a sunny but cold 17 degrees F when I started running, but the temperature eventually rose to comfortably above freezing. For the first time in a long time, it wasn’t windy! The animals were out in full force, with deer, bison, and pronghorn and their unending antics to entertain me (Deer with the way they just stand staring as I run by only 15 feet away; bison with various things caught in their dreaded, dirty fur, like 2 foot long sagebrush branches; and pronghorn with the way they happily play with each other.). The elk were conspicuously missing from the wilderness, but I found most of them in my yard when I got home. I saw a really weird man out there, really weird. He told me he saw what looked like an elk fetus laying on a ridge top, and he laughed like a movie villain as he spoke. I’ve seen this man around before, and I’ve previously thought he possessed a pair of leering eyes; seems like his personality matches those eyes. I nervously acknowledged him and ran on, and I did not look for the elk fetus as I went.

I bonked at the 22 mile mark. The next 4 miles were slow and painful. Though I’d been eating and drinking plentifully, I presume that beginning the run with a caloric deficit from yesterday caused the bonk. If this was my only complaint from a big weekend of activity, I’ll take it. And, I’ll do it again, anytime.

12 Responses to “Again! Again!”

First, I must tell you this. In my world, M&M’s are pain relievers! Okay, really, anything chocolate is. And when Eric willing feeds my chocolate addiction, then it is a good day.

Second, I’ve never had sunburn on the roof of my mouth, but I swear last time we hiked to Camp Muir I had sunburn inside my nose!

Sounds like a beautiful and fast day on the trails. Lucky you!

I’m sorry, but on trails in a calorie deficit and on fatigued legs you almost qualified for Boston????? You are an animal Meghan!!!!!!!!!

That is SOOO crazy about your mouth!!

Totally ditto what Audrey says!

You are one tough trail running woman! I’ve put sunscreen up by nostrils but never though about ol sol giving me a pizza burn on the roof of my mouth.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. I have runners envy.

5. The Salty One says:

Oh Meghan! I am jealous! I only made it out for 7.5 very slow miles and all of it was pretty boring, although we did have some sunshine that I much appreciated (although not enough to burn the roof of my mouth–crazy!)

I thought cat in the sleeve was funny, not creepy. At least it’s not as creepy as the dude talking about elk fetuses. Ewww!

Oh, and quit making me hungry πŸ™‚

6. Roslyn says:

What an amazing weekend! I’m actually kind of curious how you manage to keep your body stoked over a period like that. I mean in terms of real food in addition to energy-replacement gels and liquids. I find I eat quite a bit even to keep pace with my piddling 40-mile-a-week flat, slow sea-level running. If you have a chance (or the inclination), I’d like to know what those “thousands of calories” looked like. Thanks.

7. Iris says:

You are one tough trail runner! Thanks for motivating the rest of us, and sharing about the sunburn. I’ve now been pondering prevention strategies for that…

Oh, you people are too nice to me! πŸ˜‰

Michelle- Aw man, nostril sunburn? I think that takes the cake!

Audrey and Jeff- Thanks!

Eric- Let’s not even talk about runner’s envy. I’ve been reading what you’ve been up to all through the winter, feeling envious of clear trails. πŸ™‚

Salty- I didn’t mean bad creepy about the cat; I meant funny creepy. Sorry if that didn’t come across right.

Roslyn- I wish I had a great explanation about food. Some runners are really good about counting calories and getting it all in. I eat healthy food, but in amounts that I feel like. On Saturday, I had a big breakfast of egg whites, black beans, sweet potato, cheese, and avocado, mixed together kind of hash-like. Also coffee and a tangerine. While snowshoeing, I ate a homemade mix of raisins, peanuts, pecans, and almonds, as well as a few natural fruit leathers. Immediately after finishing both of these big workout days, I drank Ultragen. Once I got home from snowshoeing, I ate multiple servings of some homemade black bean lasagna, some asparagus, and corn. Sunday morning, a big breakfast of oatmeal fancied up with nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. And coffee. Nuun and vanilla Power Gels are my energy/electrolytes/fluids of choice while running. After running, I had several servings of homemade red sauce over orzo, several servings of that same black bean lasagna, carrots, kiwis, a banana, corn. Oh and some dark chocolate! I have no idea what my caloric intake is/was, sorry! But I think this makes me look like a big eater! πŸ™‚

Iris- I’m thinking not breathing through my mouth is the perfect solution! πŸ™‚

Ya know, we really do lead parallel lives! The snow/sun burns, snowstorms and the adventures in paradise continue here, too!

Leslie

wow. WOW! TAKE THAT, piriformis! I love it πŸ™‚ Congrats on a fantastic run, and a super weekend! How cool!

I have gotten sunburned underneath my chin after skiing before… I thought that was weird, but inside the mouth? That is even crazier!

Ooh, so glad you wrote about your food — may I just say… YUM! I love your menus! πŸ™‚ I love hearing/reading about food anyway, and reading about other super-healthy but still substantial vegetarian meals is so inspiring! Mmmmm…. πŸ™‚

Anne

11. Roslyn says:

Meghan, that’s exactly the answer I was hoping for–not calorie count, which I myself don’t track, but kinds and amounts of food for the high-level energy expenditure you do. Sounds like you eat across a spectrum of healthy foods in amounts best described as “multiple” or “several” servings! Thanks!

Wahoo! More comments to comment on!

Sunshine Girl- Hello parallel life girl! Thanks for the visit!

Anne- We shall exchange recipes, I hope. I’ve read about your great cooking!

Roslyn- I’m glad my answer was helpful, as unspecific as it was! Thanks for the comment.