Indulge

On April 3, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

It began with a dark chocolate cake-like substance as the bottom layer. Just above the cake was what could only be homemade whipped cream, with its severe richness and indulgent heaviness. The next layer above the cream was chocolate mousse, so delicate and sweet. Above the mousse, thankfully, joyfully, was a repeated layer of whipped cream. The top of the dessert was decorated with curled flakes of decadent dark chocolate.

Don’t even get me started about the rest of the meal, especially the homemade buttermilk biscuits, straight from the oven and still warm.

My friend and I each ordered one of these desserts; no way were we sharing. When the dessert was placed in front of us, and we braced spoons in preparation, and our mouths watered in expectation, and our minds independently settled on thoughts to share aloud with each other, we both spoke of the same thing. We mouthed the word “indulge” as we dove into our desserts. She had that morning completed a three hour training run in preparation for a marathon and I was on a rest day after almost 14 hours worth of workouts in 4 days, and this dessert seemed like the best way to indulge ourselves.

It occurred to me then, as chocolate cake, mousse, and whipped cream melted in my mouth and laced itself directly to my shortly drunk-with-sugar brain and we both giggled in little-girl joy, that this is what rest days should be about. Sure, physical rest allows muscle tissues to evacuate by-products of exercise and repair micro-tears caused by lots of hard work. I am realizing that emotional restoration, like this exact dessert-devouring-laughing-with-a-friend moment of a rest day, affects me most. To indulge emotionally is to recover.

Today it’s back to work: a hill workout, lifting, and yoga await me. After yesterday, my body and my mind are ready to work.

10 Responses to “Indulge”

1. David says:

Share? Neither would I.

2. Thomas says:

I’m glad I read all that AFTER my carbs depletion phase. It would have been torture otherwise.

Meg, you are doing the same 50k (figure things out, or email me:)). On another note, I’ve been keeping a food log for 10 days and dropped 5 lbs and 1/2 inch from my waist/butt each simply due to not eating mindlessly…still a lot, but not chewing on things!

Sounds wonderful. I love chocolate in all it’s shapes and forms and I seldom want to share it.

I agree wholeheartedly. That said, an entire cut-back-week bender is, unfortunately, not kind to the body. Just take my word on that one.

Your dessert sounds delicious!!!

oh, I SO agree! Call it “cross-training” if you will 🙂 It’s mental recovery at its best! Mmm, what a delicious day!

OH MAN does that sound good!!! And buttermilk biscuits?! Those might be my favorite!!! Glad you enjoyed and indulged Meghan. Hope you have some great training this weekend!

8. Duncan says:

Just saying hi. Got no other words–no har-hars; no jazz hands; no emoticons. Hope you are well and running strong.

Yes! I’m very picky. It must be DARK chocolate!
    I vegged today. No work, no running, a nap laying in the sun without a shirt on…serenity!
    Too much go, go, go. Sometimes we need a full-halt.

Happy weekending! I hope you are all up to lots of mischief.

David- I would have been hard pressed to share this dessert. So tasty! Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Thomas- Oh I never thought about this blog entry being torture for my readers. So sorry! 🙂

Olga- Wahoo on the food journaling. You have much more will power than I do. Go girl!

Michelle- I’m confident that you could have tackled this dessert solo!

Danni- Sorry to hear you’re stuggling. You’re so right, though, there’s a fine balance between too much and not enough rest. Good luck!

Anne- If that was cross-training, I’ll do it any day!

Beth- Oh yeah, these buttermilk biscuits were something else. And so was my disgusting consumption of a huge volume of them.

Duncan- 😉 *SO* happy to hear from you. :O <----That's me being happy to hear from you! *cue jazz hands and marching band music* (Hope you're well, too, Duncan.) JeffO- You are much deserving of rest after you big race. Enjoy every moment of it!