Lucky And Slow

On April 6, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

Lucky: My foot is fine! But, that was very scary.
Slow: I was turtle slow on today’s long run. Almost a slug’s pace, pathetic actually.

It really hurts when you drop a laptop on your bare foot. There is no padding on bare feet to absorb the impact of such a drop; it’s just bones and tendons and stuff. My foot grew a big purple egg the first day. On the second day, the egg spread into a generally swollen right foot and the purple settled to the bottom of my foot. That was highly unattractive and it made me glad that sandal season is not yet in effect here in the high country. All this is mostly irrelevant, however, because my foot seems to be fine! It weathered all of the weekend’s workouts with little complaint.

From the very minute I started today’s long run, I felt tired. Over the first 10 miles, I hovered at a 9:30 minute/mile pace and couldn’t make myself move faster. Things never really got worse, but I stopped keeping track of my pace so as to not depress myself. I ran for 4 hours on singletrack and dirt roads with about 1400 feet of elevation gain, a bit over 25 miles. Today was the last day of a 5-week build block with no recovery weeks, so I suppose I can blame this for my fatigue. I would like to run well at the Chippewa Morraine 50k this Saturday, so I’m hoping that 5 recovery days will refresh my legs.

10 Responses to “Lucky And Slow”

Meghan,
    Last week I didn’t think I’d have the energy to run the marathon. Between recovery from 50 and a cold, I was zapped. I skipped my Thursday morning run and slept two extra hours and it made all the difference. I hope something like that happens for you too! Also, remember, slow is relative. A 9:30 pace is a dream pace for me! You’ll be good to go this weekend, foot healed, energy restored. I’m sure of it.

I’m glad your foot is okay!!!! Stay away from falling computers from now on. 🙂

Anyway, I can definitely see how that 5 week build with no recovery weeks can produce a little fatigue. You will feel like a new woman after a few recovery days! Best of luck in your race Saturday. I’ll be thinking of you!!

The sandal season never comes to me at all with my “beautiful” toenails:) Hope 5 days will bring back the energy, Karl Meltzer picked you for the win – you better hassle:)

p.s. sorry, not Karl – Wynn.

5. Iris says:

Be assured – your slow pace is still my fast! Glad to hear your foot is doing ok.

Glad the foot is good. And I even spared you my pathetic puns!
    I think the return of winter has sent my body into hibernate-mode. I can’t get enough sleep to stay awake. I have to force myself to go running. Once I’m moving, I’m okay, but it’s been a struggle.
    I think you’ll do fantastic this weekend.

7. The Salty One says:

Here’s a big PHEW for you from me. I’ve done that countless times. Well, not precisely that but I’ve bumped and brusied precious running parts far too many times to count and every time I swore it was the death of my running only for it to go unnoticed during that grueling workout maybe I secretly wanted to foil with an excuse of a bruised toe 😉 Good luck this weekend!!

Another p.s. – say hi to Julie Berg for me, please! And to Wynn:)

9. Thomas says:

Ouch – glad the foot seems to be ok.

Michelle- Ooh, sleep! I will get more of that soon. As soon as I get off this pesky night shift!

Beth- Thanks!

Olga- Don’t we all have the ugliest feet? I’m missing several toenails, too. To be honest, I’ve gotten over it and I wear my sandals anyways. I’ll tell those folks hello for you.

Iris- Thank you!

JeffO- I was looking at the extended forecast and it looks like spring is going to arrive and stay a while on Saturday. Let’s hope this is true!

Salty- I know! Why can’t I crush a knuckle or something on my hand? Then I’d only miss work and not play! Hah!

Thomas- Thank you!