Midwest Notes

On April 13, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

#1. I had a fabulous time at the Chippewa Moraine 50k this weekend. Foul spring weather in the form of cold and snow did not deter the spirits of those hardy midwesterners and this westerner. I will shortly follow with a full race report about the excitement.

#2. Since most of my readers are not from Minneapolis and St. Paul and haven’t seen it up close, I will mention that I visited the bridge collapse site in Minneapolis today. What a place. It’s at the moment mostly a construction site in the beginning stages of bridge re-building, but the site exudes a bit of solemn eeriness.

#3. Caribou Coffee. When this beautiful place of coffee making exists, please tell me why Starbucks has percolated itself through most of society. If you ever have access to a Caribou Coffee, I will you to partake in it.

#4. My family and friends haven’t entirely forgotten me after not visiting for 2 years. As a bonus, they also seem to understand why I’ve hesitated. Thank you family and friends. I adore all the new partners and babies and houses and drink-mixing machines (Heh, heh.).

#5. My brother is the luckiest human being alive. You just have to trust me on this one. If a smidge of his good luck wore off on anyone else, they wouldn’t know what to do with all the random luck.

#6. OhmygodIlovefood. Putting a hungry country bumkin like me in a city amongst the unending choices of food sourcing from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds is like handing a child its favorite toy.

#7. My dad’s spirit is so strong in this house, this town. At first it was frightening, but now I’m growing accustomed to it. And, I love it. I will also write more about this soon.

9 Responses to “Midwest Notes”

Congratulation on 3rd and great time, and wow, sounds like a tough and awesome race, and yes on food and good times with family!!!

You got third? Awesome work!!! Sounds like it was a good weekend on all fronts. Yay!

3. WynnMan says:

Meghan, I am so proud of you and all you accomplished. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and I hope you get a chance to comeback and experience the multitude of other excellent races we have in the Upper Midwest.
    Despite the conditions you finished one of the most incredible and memorable races!
    Check out the website to look at photos and also the race blog to read reports.

recover well, and hope to venture out your way soon!

Wynn

4. sea legs girl says:

Great job at the race and it was wonderful to meet you! Hopefully we’ll get to run more together.

Meghan,
    I’m glad the weekend and visit home went well. Can’t wait to read all about it.

6. Iris says:

I’m glad your visit went so well. And, thanks for mentioning Caribou Coffee. I’ve wished a bunch of times they had them in Montana!

I’m so glad you’re having a good week! Can’t wait to hear about the race, of course, but I’m secretly hoping you’ll share stories of all the food/restaurants (I, too, go gah-gah when I get back to the Cities…so many fantastic choices, so little times…I love food, too! 🙂 and I’m especially looking forward to hearing more about your dad. You are an inspiration, all around! 🙂
    anne

Hello from Minnesota, all! Thanks for the comments!

Olga- Oh you sneaky girl, you looked me up! Thank you, and I hope you had a great racing weekend, also.

Danni- Thanks, Danni! I look forward to reading about your race as well!

Wynn- Thanks, Race Director! You put on a great show and I think you’re going to fill your race to its capacity next year. PS, your mom is adorable!

Sea Legs- So fun you meet you and your family as well. We will hopefully cross paths again!

Michelle- Thanks and I hope you had a great weekend Rumbling in Oregon!

Iris- Ooh, ooh, another Caribou Coffee lover, yes?! I love that place!

Anne- Hee, hee, leave it to you to ask about the food. 🙂

How did I miss this post? Have I been that busy?
    Glad you had so much fun.
    There’s a Carribou Coffee less than a mile from home. It is excellent!
    But Meghan… there’s actually a couple of shops that equal it in Colorado… and one that’s even better!
    = The Steamin’ Bean, and the original shop called ” The Bean”.
    = Bongo Billy’s in Buena Vista and Salida.
    ++ Kaladi’s is the absolute best. They roast their beans with hot air, not by rolling them in a heated drum the way everyone else does. So there’s no blackened glaze on the inside of a drum to taint the beans. What a difference.
    Starbucks made it big by using double grounds to give you a powerfully strong brew. But yuck! Okay, they’ve improved in the past couple of years, but they still can’t compete.
    Being the Internet junkie that I am, the only reason I don’t go to Carribou is that they don’t have free WiFi (neither does Starbucks).
    Kaladi’s can only be found in Alaska and Denver. If you come down for SJS50, maybe I’ll give you a pound of bean.