Bear!

On May 7, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

Black bear (Big black bear.). Roly poly, large, and lumbering (No apparent winter damage there.). Gorgeous, shiny, sleek, midnight black fur (Pantene would be envious.). Nonchalantly but powerfully tearing apart the flesh of a dead thing (The intermixed nonchalance and power was a bit unnerving.).

My afternoon bike ride along a relatively deserted (Blame the soaking rain, intermittent sleet, and cold temperatures. When is spring?) Yellowstone National Park road was punctuated by the above scene. Though I was in the middle of a biking workout prescribed by Beth (Thanks Beth!) as a last minute attempt to gain some biking fitness (More like confidence at this point.) for this weekend’s bike race, I stopped to watch for a bit.

Next up on Meghan’s wildlife tales: The story (with photos) of a bird that killed a rodent in my yard.

11 Responses to “Bear!”

Marathon des Sables? More dead things? Bears? Dissertations? Yikerz, a girl takes a holiday for a few days and all sorts of great things happen! Congrats on your latest excitement!

I can’t even imagine seeing that on a bike ride, then hanging around to watch. You are made of stern stuff!

Hmm…that would certainly make me pedal fast… 🙂 Best of luck with your race this weekend! Have fun and ride HARD!

That silly birdie! Rodents are for cats!

Let us know if you see Yogi and BooBoo!

That’s all folks!

Yikes … Be careful please !

Have a great Bike Race Weekend 🙂

6. Anonymous says:

Hey Meghan. I followed a link to your blog from Wynn’s blog. I see you will be running the KM100k. I will be working packet pickup and hopefully running the 100k as well. If you need any advice at all about the trail or the area, let me know. I live right next to the trail. I love you blog! See you soon.

Christine Crawford
    Whitewater, WI

Nice! I’ve still not seen a bear. . . though maybe I might have sort of seen one scamper down a hillside. . . but obviously that’s not quite a “sighting.” Too bad you don’t have a picture of the feasting Pantene Beauty Bear! “don’t hate me because I’m beautiful”

I saw my first bear of the season on Saturday as well! He or she was also all shiny and healthy and beautiful. There was a major “bear jam” on the highway though. People doing silly things. You know smothering their small children in honey and offering them up for a photo op…

Leslie- I know, the craziness!

Michelle- No, YOU are made of stern stuff, Miss I Run A Marathon Every Weekend!

Beth- Hah! Thanks! This weekend went really well!

Eric- Bwahahah!

Bob- Thanks, the bike race went well!

Christine- Thanks for visiting and commenting. I see you had a great weekend at the Ice Age 50, congratulations! I would love to pick your brain about the trail, if you care to leave contact info. Thanks for the offer!

Danni- That counts! That totally counts! That’s how you see black bears mostly, running away from you!

Leslie- Heh, offering up the child for a good photo! Sigh, tourists, let the season begin.

10. Anonymous says:

You can reach me at Christine.Crawford@zero-zone.com or christinecrawford2@gmail.com

Thanks, it was a nice day for a 50 miler. Had a solid run despite my lack of training.

See you in a few weeks, contact me whenever.

Christine

Christine- Thanks again! I will definitely email you. You are very kind!