Bad News

On May 23, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

I have some. My grandmother passed away this morning.

A day or two ago, my 93 year old grandmother fell. As she fell, she hit her head on something. The impact to her head induced swelling and bleeding in her brain, and she lapsed into a coma. Yesterday evening, the doctors made it clear that she wouldn’t survive the injury, or the surgery used on younger, stronger people to relieve the swelling and drain the blood.

Everyone in my family who was within driving distance of the hospital gathered to support her in death, the last one arriving at about 12:30 am. At about 2:15 am, her breathing became shallow and labored. My family gathered around her, prayed aloud, and whispered soothing words into her ear. A few minutes later, she was gone.

At this point, I’ve got a lot of family members in heaven, so I’m hoping they are throwing my grandma a big welcoming party tonight. Those of us still on earth are pretty sad she’s gone, though.

My grandma and I at a recent family reunion.

16 Responses to “Bad News”

aww Sorry to hear the bad news, My thoughts and prayers are with u and ur family…

Sounded like she had a lot of love around her as she moved on & UPward!

That is sad news 🙁 You two are very adorable in that picture.

Hugs.

3. Thomas says:

I’m really sorry about that.

93 years is a grand age.

4. Anonymous says:

I really enjoy your blog so I was sas to hear about your grandmother. The picture of you and your grandmother show two really vibrant people.

5. Iris says:

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. From the picture, you obviously enjoyed her company. My thoughts are with you.

Oh Meghan, sorry to hear your sad news. It’s tough for the people left here on earth but rest assured your grandma is celebrating BIG up in heaven! Take care of yourself! Thinking and praying for you and your family!

7. chelle says:

Oh gosh, I’m so sorry to hear this. 93 years is a generous helping of life and I hope I’m lucky enough to get that many, but it’s got to be tough when the end comes because of a random, unlucky accident. It seems like if you make it that far you should get to die peacefully in your sleep! I’m glad she hung on long enough that everyone got to say goodbye and I’m sure her spirit was comforted by that support when she finally let go. I agree with Audrey….that is a really sweet photo.

Sorry to hear this. She had a great family in life and at the end. What a nice send-off.
    The only way I won’t die alone is if I die in a crowded public place!
    Your grandmother is lucky to have such a family.
    Yeah, the photo is very nice. I have none like that with any of my grandparents.

Meghan,
    I’m sorry to hear about your loss. I’ll be thinking of you and your family. Keep those wonderful memories of her close to your heart.

Sorry for your loss Meghan.
    Leslie

Loved ones will die, we will grow old, and no one here is going to get out alive.

I’m sorry for your loss. I hope it was your Grandmother who showed you how to live while you’re alive.

I love your thought about the big family party in heaven! Can you imagine all they have to talk about?

Stay strong

So very sorry, Meghan, may she rest in peace and remembered with love.

13. jeff says:

i’m sorry to hear about this, meghan. you’re right, though, she’s having a grand ol’ party up there.

hang in there!

14. The Salty One says:

Aw man, Meghan! That stinks. On a positive not Grandma looked amazingly gorgeous at 93 and I bet she had a wonderful life and touched many as evidenced by her last day.

But really when it comes down to it no matter at what age and how wonderful a life they led, it’s never easy to lose someone we love.

I’m so sorry Meghan.

To Bob, Audrey, Thomas, Anonymous, Iris, Beth, Chelle, JeffO, Michelle, Leslie, Eric, Olga, Jeff, Salty, Danni, and all of you who left me voicemails and emails:

Thank you!