Enough Rain For Forever

On June 1, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

I will get nary an iota of sympathy from those who live in the Pacific Northwest with this blog entry, but I’ll attempt to dredge up a few “Poor thing!” sentiments from my readers hailing from places slightly less wet. I’m only kidding; just read and enjoy.

I can think of just one other time in which I was wetter than last weekend. In 2002, I climbed 17,057 foot Mt. Kenya in East Africa. The mountain is so enormous that it creates its own rain shadow. Thus, there’s a dry side of the mountain upon which we climbed, and a wet side upon which we descended. The 2-day descent on the wet side of the mountain was highlighted by perpetual rain downpours. Everything I had with me, including my sleeping bag, was soaked for those 2 days. Interestingly, there was so much mud created by said rain that the Land Rover which gathered us from the ending trailhead actually slid and rolled on its side (Sorry, Mom, for never telling you this part. Did you know that these vehicles are so hardy that, after an accident, you can roll a Land Rover back onto its four tires and keeping driving? You learn many things in the African wilderness.). In any case, I was so very wet.

Last weekend, I got so very wet again. The weather forecast for last Saturday, the only day I had to do my last long run before Kettle Moraine 100k, was abysmal. However, it looked slightly less horrifying in Bozeman than around my house, so I went to the Bridger Mountains (located just outside of Bozeman) for this long run. From beginning to end, it poured so much rain that the trails were literal creeks, and the real creeks were literal streams. The rain fell with enough force to knock the brand new and still delicate aspen leaves off their trees. I heard 4 trees crash down in the forest, not only proving that falling trees still make noise if almost no one is around to hear them, but that the ground was super-saturated with water. I was able to ascend to about 8000 feet elevation before true discomfort chased me to lower elevations. The wind along the exposed ridgelines of the higher territory blew rain and sleet horizontally such that it knocked me to and fro on the trail.

After completing 6 hours, 27 miles, and 6000 feet of elevation gain in this nonsense weather, I went to a friend’s house in Bozeman for a hot shower and a meal. I arrived to find that the hot water heater was broken! The cold shower that followed this run was infinitely more painful than the run itself. Afterwards, I put on all the clothes that I had, wrapped myself in blankets, ate about 1200 calories, and eventually thawed out. I was remarkably not sore, so I conclude that running all day in a cold rain and subsequently immersing in a cold shower is even better than the quintessential ice bath. Not that I will ever intentionally try this again, because I’m pretty sure that this was enough rain for forever.

10 Responses to “Enough Rain For Forever”

Oh, but those of us in the Pacific NW can totally empathize with your experience, so you do get a few “poor thing’s” from me!

Ya tough crappy weather to run in ! and to end it with a cold shower– ouch!

umm next week at this time, I am going to be SOOOOOOO friggin’ Sore (sadface) It’s not funny–lol ahhhh I am gonna be such a whiner u guys might kick me out — lmaooooo

but I will be holding my kettle in one hand & a beer in the other :-)so that will ease my pain a bit !

oh, BRRrrr! You are overdue for some nice-weather runs, I think! πŸ™‚ You’ve paid your dues with all of this wet, muddy, windy, sleet-y, yucky spring mess this year. Here’s to some sunshine…one of these days, surely…!

OH man Meghan – that is the worst!!! I am getting the cold chills just thinking about it! But WOW that you stuck it out. And if it rains at your race you won’t even bat an eyelash!! πŸ™‚ Happy recovery!

5. mary says:

Meghan – the conditions sound uncomfortable – a cold shower after a day in the rain! Yikes! Sounds like you are ready for your 100k. I hope it is lots of fun and great news that you are not sore after your long run. Take care this week.

I am with you. Rain rain go away! Good luck at Kettle Morraine. That will be fun.

BTW, I don’t really think we all run ultras to simulate Depression era suffering :p

I am with Michelle on empathizing, and with Dannie on “go away”. It’s June, for Christ sake! You made awesome time for your run. Bummer on the cold shower – I would be stinking up the room instead:)

Oh, crap, I’m so far behind on blogging!

Your run sounded great to me. You know I brag that I’m amphibious. But then the cold shower afterwards… Even frogs like to sit in warm water. So you’ve earned a “poor thing” from me.
    Now kick some butt at Kettle – because it’ll be a vacation compared to training.

Hello all!

Michelle- Aw, thanks! I know you’ve tolerated these kinds of days more times than I could stay sane for!

Bob- Oh, but it will be a good hurt! Just don’t try to drink out of the Kettle and hug the beer, okay? Drink beer, hug kettle. πŸ˜‰

Anne- You are deserving of it also, methinks! What a crazy winter/spring we’ve had!

Beth- I thought of you on this run. My thoughts went something like this, “Beth says that 37 degrees and rain is the worst weather ever. This is the that weather.” Oh goodness, sigh. πŸ˜‰

Mary- Hi! Nice to “see” you! I thought it was also great news about not being sore.

Danni- Thanks, girlie!

Olga- Thanks. I had to get on an airplane, though, that was the main issue. πŸ™‚

JeffO- Ok, Mr. Amphibian, I’ll trade my rain for your sun! I like your analogy about Kettle being a vacation compared to some of my training, and I’ll try to remember that in the throes of mile 50 pain.

10. kenyarunb says:

WOW, Meghan!!!! Runs like that make us tougher . . . but the thought of running 27 miles in the rain and then having a cold shower afterward, make me shudder. You are so ready for the 100k!

By the way, when are you writing a book? I’ve always loved the way that you put pen to paper and compose πŸ™‚

Bridget