Eating Humble Pie And Loving It

On June 10, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

Did you know that Wisconsin makes an insatiably delicious humble pie? This weekend, I ate my weight in that stuff during the Kettle Moraine 100k. Despite a most heavy dosing of humility and a race that proceeded both laughably near and far from its original goals, I had an outstanding experience in the great state of cheese, unending smiles, and inordinately violent thunderstorms. There is so much to write about that I’m going to post a few times about my experience over the next few days.

Here is a few-sentence summary: This high elevation, cool weather Wyoming-ite suffered hard in the heat and especially the humidity of Wisconsin. Then again, everyone was suffering the weather on some level. If it wasn’t the heat and humidity that did people in, it was the raging summer thunderstorm that affected a lot of people’s races. I had a fabulous time before the race weekend with my college friend, Scott, and an amazing time during the race weekend with fellow racers Bob, Tom, and Rick.

Most importantly, I want to say thanks to the people who made this weekend superb:
1. Timo and Jason, the race directors who put on an epic Kettle Moraine 100 Miler and 100k;
2. the race volunteers, who selflessly donated of themselves during some unique racing conditions;
3. Scott, Bob, Tom, and Rick, my testosterone-infused and superiorly entertaining Wisconsin company;
4. All the other runners with whom I was fortunate to endure this experience, and who made the day more survivable; and
5. My family and friends (including all of you) who cheered me on from distant locations.

More soon!

11 Responses to “Eating Humble Pie And Loving It”

Feels nice to be back to WY, doesn’t it? Was really glad to chat with you!!!

I already cheated and saw that you were a top woman. The conditions sounded horrifical. I can’t wait to hear all about it.

3. Alison says:

Wow, congratulations on your win (reading the other comments)! I was in Wisconsin recently, not too far from where you were for your race, and there was a 35-mile-long dirt trail near where I was staying. As I ran out on it, I thought how some people would see that as a challenge, that they would need to run it from end to end, or do the entire 70-mile out-and-back. And you were one of the first people to come to mind. So I just thought that it was funny when I read that you did an ultra in that neck of the woods.

Recover well! And yes, this humidity is tough. I can’t imagine doing an ultra in it.

Oh noes, I have to ix-nay the rumors! I didn’t win. Not even close. 😉

5. rick says:

No but you were 3rd Woman Overall for the 100k. You were in the top 3!. Awesome job and congratulations. I know you didn’t run the race you wanted to but no one did really.

By the way thanks for showing off Sunday morning how well your legs felt while I could barely move:) Oh you know jumping on the foldup bed to open curtains, doing stretches and calisthenics and standing on your toes when you were next to me so I could be shorter, oh wait that was me trying to be taller. Haha. You guys were good company.

sigh))) not even close …well umm let’s debate it to a degree, no not the winner but third female and 12th overall is pretty damn good to me so have a tall glass a milk with ur pie okayyyyyyyyyy 🙂

Great job out there on a tough day!, Ur big Ultra Race day is coming, keep focused!

A tough race for a tough and speedy trail runner. I can’t imagine running a 5 mile training run in those conditions. What are you going to do? You’ve traveled to the cheese state, all the other runners are smiling, you pull up your big girl pants and toe the line. Did I mention tough out the conditions and kicking butt? You did it all!

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time despite the weather.

Humble pie? Why? You were fantastic!
    Hey, they had a typo on the entrants list and had you as “M”. So I emailed them during the race and said you were definitely an “F” and that it was important, since you were without a doubt going to be in the top three females.
    Was I right? Huh?
    No doubt!

GREAT JOB MEGHAN!!!! Wow!! I am super excited to hear all about the race from your perspective but 3rd sounds awesome!!

I wondered all weekend how it was going with what I knew were really tough weather conditions – hot, humid and lots of rain/flooding up there!! Happy recovery!

10. sea legs girl says:

Meghan, Glad you lived to tell us about the race and sounds like you did great. Whatever place you got, it sounded like a wonderful, fun experience. I’m reading my response here outloud to The Bois because he feels like he’s being talked to.

I need to get some of that Humble Pie.

So how long do you think you need before you run again?

Olga- Was nice to chat with you also! Yes, I’m glad to be home except for the fact that it’s snowing!

Danni- Horrifical. I love that descriptor. Girl, keep heat training!

Alison- I wonder which trail this was in Wisconsin. Funny also that you thought of me!

Rick- Well, I ran 40 miles less than you did! Thanks for coming on over to my blog and commenting.

Bob- Yes, a great big glass of milk to go with my pie, thank you.

Eric- Hah! Why were my big girl pants down in the first place?

JeffO- Oh that’s very funny! Thanks!

Beth- Oh yes, there was heat, humidity, flooding, locusts… Just kidding about the locusts part.

Sea Legs- They make good humble pie in Wisconsin, let me tell you! Hi little Bois! Yesterday, I did an easy spin on the bike trainer. Today, I will run very easy for 45 minutes.