Summer’s Arrival

On June 19, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

Summer has *finally* arrived to Yellowstone, and I couldn’t be happier. Everyone’s patience was surely wearing thin when snow was falling as recently as June 11th. As far as I’m concerned, better late than never. Here are a few pictures so that you might also enjoy the beginnings of Yellowstone’s summer:

Here’s Emigrant Peak, one of the mountains north of Yellowstone National Park. Last weekend, I ran in a valley to the left of this mountain.

My friend and I met for a 90 minute run this afternoon. We covered 9.5 miles with 1400 feet elevation gain, beginning at 5500 feet elevation. It was truly hot out, and I was so happy. We dunked our legs in a creek afterwards, then went for iced coffees.

The hillsides are awash with so many flowers right now that it smells good wherever you go, and its obscenely colorful. There are also about 17 insects for every blossom flying around as well. It’s kind of gross when you look down at your sweaty arms and see gnats stuck in the sweat.

Last weekend June and I hiked a trail near my house. Phenomenal weather doesn’t begin to describe that day. After a wild session of fetch in a field, the dog was as contented as I was.

14 Responses to “Summer’s Arrival”

1. Leslie's Keith says:

You 2 are going to have so much fun!

KB

inspiring me yet again to leave the city…

3. rick says:

June looks happy. Summer is here too in San Francisco but I’m sure it’s just temporary, the real summer doesn’t start until late August.

oh, delicious summer! Trail runs through the wildflowers under brilliant blue skies… paradise, indeed. πŸ™‚

nice pics…June is like

“OK Mommy, this is the like the 5th re-take…we look AWESOME, now you promised we can play fetch again”

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee, ruff ruff πŸ™‚

Hurray for summer!!!

Iced coffee–one of the best parts of summer! Glad you finally got some sun.

Summer’s here! Let’s play! I hope all of you are enjoying great weather also!

Keith- I’m so very excited, Keith, I can hardly contain myself! You’re the best-est-est! πŸ™‚

Audrey- You, your liquid diet, and your braces all need a weekend away! πŸ˜‰

Rick- June always seems to look happy, unless there’s a thunderstorm. Then it’s bad news bears. πŸ™‚

Anne- I sure hope you and Little Timpany are indulging in this warmth and sunshine also!

Bob- Hah! You’re so right!

Danni- I’m hoping its gorgeous weather up there for your race today! πŸ™‚

Michelle- Leave it to another coffee fiend to comment on the iced coffee. From one addict to another: cheers! πŸ™‚

Now, go run in the fields, y’all!

Those white puffy clouds surrounded by that incredible blue sky behind you with June just kind of say it all.

I’m glad to hear you finally have some weather other than snow.

Enjoy!

I’m so happy for you to finally get some great weather!! June Dog looks just as happy if not happier than you! πŸ™‚ Enjoy as I know you will!!

11. mtnrunR says:

yea, no more long sleeve shirts and coats!!!

Eric- Thanks! This is just what we needed! I’ve been enjoying it so much!

Beth- I know you said earlier this spring that our time would come, and I think it finally has. I couldn’t bee happier! Thanks!

Tom- No kidding, huh! About time!

Wow, I’m SO behind! All I do is work, travel, run.
    Very nice to see you rested and then launched into a beautiful, relaxing series of trail runs in perfect weather! That’s the best kind of recovery.

So I’m guessing you ran 60 miles one day, 5 miles the next two days, and 1 mile the last day.

Sounds like you are ready to go stomp the competition. Take care of that sunburn!