Newsworthy, Or Not

On June 27, 2008, in Uncategorized, by Meghan

You might find these life tidbits amusing; then again, you might not. If you only have 1 minute to read, skip to item 4, as it’s probably the most interesting.

1. I survived 9 hours of running in 2 days with nary a foot issue. Then I flip-flop walked this afternoon into a grocery store only to have a screaming toddler flail a miniature shopping cart at my foot in a fit of seeming consumer rage. The shopping cart rolled my left pinky toenail back and half-ripped it from the nail bed (Gosh, I hope you weren’t trying to eat and read, sorry.). I wimpered in pain as my toe oozed blood, and the mother of said toddler never even acknowledged my presence.

2. In another totally unserious injurious event, I fell (again) whilst trail running yesterday. I managed to break open several pieces of skin on my hand, elbow, and knee. My knee looked really cool about an hour later, with two trickles of dried blood on my shin, when I ran into another trail runner with the exact same knee injury. He said, “Nice knee. Where’d that happen?” I told him where I had tumbled, and asked the same of him. Turns out, we fell on nearly the same piece of trail. I think someone must have put a big tripping rock there; really, that’s the only logical explanation.

3. When I woke up today from my night shift, I opened the shade and counted 10 baby elk napping right outside my bedroom window. Some of the calves were curled around themselves in tight little balls. Others were laying on their sides, awkward legs splayed. One little elk made a little squeaking noise as it slept, what must have been an elk snore. This was a most fine way to wake up.

4. Leslie, also known as Banff Trail Trash and Sunshine Girl (How many nicknames can a girl get?), and I are teaming up to run the TransRockies Run together at the end of August. The TransRockies Run is a 6-day, 125-mile, 2-person team stage race that galavants itself through central Colorado. It seems that Leslie is a conjurer of all things adventurous and thrilling, and she has invited me to partake in her latest excitement. No one in their right minds would say no to a week of running and play in the Colorado Rockies, especially with this crazy girl. Plus, Leslie states that a mobile shower truck delivers hot showers to racers at the end of each stage, which is infinitely more luxurious than the wildly fascinating but still so very welcomed variety of showers provided at the end of each stage in The Coastal Challenge. In short, I’m really excited about this adventure!

(Here is the unique shower facility we used after stage 5 during The Coastal Challenge in 2007. 3 sides of rock, one side of burlap, all open-air, and all located directly adjacent to and in full view of the camp’s eating area.)

16 Responses to “Newsworthy, Or Not”

i vote newsworthy. sorry about your tootsie. it drives me crazy when i get injured in non-sports things (like dropping a pot on my toe or spraining my ankle walking to class)…but it’s also good b/c it reminds me that OF COURSE i can do extreme sports…b/c i can just as injured in the supermarket so why not?? πŸ™‚

feel better meghan-you clearly have fun races to prepare for! enjoy!

oh, OW! Just *reading* about your toe/shopping cart incident makes my own toe hurt. Think I’ll go put on some shoes. πŸ™‚

At least you got a running-related incident to balance it out! Glad all of these are minor injuries, in the big scheme of things!

And then, the baby elk! So cute! That is so cool that you were all napping together. Awwww….. πŸ™‚

Yahoo for the TransRockies Run! This IS exciting!

You know, it really is funny how stories, whether seemingly mundane or off-the-charts adventurous, are always interesting in the blog world. I think all of these were newsworthy and great fun to read! And then at the same time I write my own blog and think, uh, is this even interesting to anyone? πŸ™‚ Guess it’s all relative, eh?

anne

3. Iris says:

I can’t wait to hear about the TransRockies Run! It’s like a dream vacation – only one my husband wouldn’t like to join πŸ™‚

4. rick says:

Well thank goodness they were just minor injuries. Blood’s cool when’s its nothing serious. Sorry to hear about the toenail though…ugh. Awesome that you can swing the TransRockies thing. That unscheduled morning shift paid off.

The race looks like fun – hard, but fun! Stay away from shopping carts and rude mothers till then.

6. chelle says:

Hmm…in my ongoing mental flip-flop process about whether or not I want to do the baby thing, your #1 just gave me another big check mark in the NO column. I’ll have to go back and read about the Salty Peanut next to see if that balances things out.

You are feeling optimistic about Burning River aren’t you πŸ™‚ Or at least optimistic about your recovery by the end of August. Then again, at this point, you’re probably thinking: 125 miles over six days? Pffft, I could do that in my sleep!

OUCH on the foot! I cringed when I read that one. I hope it’s okay!! πŸ™‚

Anyway – that race sounds awesome and amazing! I wouldn’t expect any less from you though! Can’t wait to hear all about it… Have a great week Meghan!

Ow, ow, ow! Amazing how big a pinky-toe feels when it hurts! I’ve learned my lesson with flip-flops – I’m scared of them. My sandals wrap around, but I’m so clumsy I try to wear shoes all the time.

Hey, TR is SO expensive I can’t bear to do it. Even the Mountain RATS is too pricey for this penny-pincher. But they both sound so fun.
    Maybe I’ll see you and can cheer you on? If I don’t have yet another race that weekend!

Happy Monday, all!

Audrey- The rest of life is more dangerous than sports, I tell you (Okay, maybe not for your case.).

Anne- I took a bunch of baby elk pictures, but somehow mine never turn out as good as yours. I guess that’s why you’re the professional! πŸ™‚

Iris- Hah about your hubby! I’m excited, too, thanks!

Rick- Oh yes, blood and gore, yum!

Michelle- Yes, ma’am, that sounds like a superb idea! πŸ˜‰

Chelle- Paragraph #1 was funny. Hopefully nothing I say or do will tip your scales one way or the other. And, I am optimisitic about recovering from Burning River. Leslie and I have agreed that this will be a “fun run” rather than a “tough girl race,” so I’m feeling good about being ready for that.

Beth- You and I and our toes, I tell you.

JeffO- Please come see us in August! Please, please, please!

10. polar barb says:

Sorry to hear about your toe, little kids are the worst sometimes! But I think their parents are worse πŸ™‚

Anyway that is so exciting about your race, let me know if you guys need somewhere to stay in Denver or any Colorado support, I would be happy to help you out (although I will be out of town 8/22-24).

11. Leslie's Keith says:

Mmmmm…that many baby elk in one place?…No one would miss just one if you had a good recipe! Oh ya, we live in National Parks…guess that’s out of the question…

Just kidding…testing to see who’s really reading, and how many ‘angry faces’ can follow in the comment section.. πŸ™

(Is it still called Veal if it’s elk….)

(Oh…bad…)

KB

Totally newsworthy! Especially TR, yeah!!!

13. Hart says:

love the blog meghan… and yeah transrockes!! i’ll be there myself. it’s going to be epic!

I agree. Newsworthy. Sorry about your toes and scrapes.

Going to be a blast the TR.

happy 4th

Happy almost 4th of July all!

Barb- Thanks for the nice offer of support! Will you be coming into the mountains anytime during the last week of August?

Leslie’s Keith- Mwwwaaaaah! πŸ˜‰

Olga- Hi!

Matt- Thanks for coming by my blog! See you at TR. Give a holler if you make your way up to Yellowstone for some training, since I see you’re in the Tetons right now.

Danni- Thanks and sorry again to hear the WS was cancelled. πŸ™

Bob- “This TR event was sponsored by Bob.” Happy 4th to you too!