The way I see it, one’s experience at the TransRockies Run can be boiled down to three wonderfully simple yet beautifully complex (depending on your approach) elements:
1. the teammate;
2. the race; and
3. the camp experience.
And so, my TransRockies Run report will contain three parts that individually reflect on these elements of my TRR experience. Let the games begin!

What can I really say? I couldn’t have asked for a better teammate than Leslie. My life has been immensely improved by not only my experience with her at TRR, but also now by her presence in my life.

First of all, we are alike in that be both know that the best words don’t have to be said. Think of it like the way dudes talk. One guy says to another, “Thanks, man.” What he really means is, “Wow, you’re the best and I couldn’t have done it without you. I’m so greatful that you’re my teammate.” Between Leslie and I, those words are perfectly understood.

Second of all, she’s cute as hell. I mean, seriously, isn’t she adorable?

Third, do I really need to say more than showing you this picture of her legs? The woman can run downhill like a freak of nature with these things. There were several contests in which her quad muscles were compared with those of the opposite sex, and, while I won’t say who those folks were, I will say that Leslie out-quad-ed several dudes.

Next, Leslie is goofy. I cannot tell you how many times I (and other competitors) saw this girl’s butt cheeks and her other amusing anticking on and off the course.

Fifth, Leslie thrives on playing in nature. In this photo, she’s sucking wind at the infamous 12,500 foot Hope Pass, but she’s loving life infinitely because of her exact placement at nearly the top of the world.

Next, Leslie gets what the teammate thing is all about. Our team functioned almost seamlessly.

Finally, Leslie’s happiness is supremely infectious. It’s like a disease really, but a good disease, the kind you reallyreallyreally want. That wasn’t the best descriptor, but you get what I mean, I hope.

I learned that having a positive experience at TRR is mostly about creating a successful team. The best teams at TRR were those that functioned in world of compromise, smoothly negotiated interpersonal dynamics, balanced a careful interplay of hard fun and hard work, built upon each others’ strengths and supported each others’ weaknesses, and just plain cared about each other. Team Banff-Yellowstone Trail Trash had all of this, so, Leslie, I know you understand exactly what I mean when I say, “Thanks, girl.”

11 Responses to “TransRockies Run Report Part 1: Ode To My Teammate”

1. Trail Goat says:

Good teammates are hard to find and we both found winners in Leslie and Martin. What’s crazy about that is neither of us had met our respective teammate until within a week of TransRockies!

How incredibly perfect! Above all, it sounds like your new friendship will carry above and beyond the sport. I love it.

3. saschasdad says:

Hey, she never had a quad-out with me. I would whooped her. And who’s puny quads are next to her’s? Also, I never saw Leslie’s butt cheeks. I was robbed.

Her quads are awesome, and Sean is playing dead – he couldn’t stand within a mile from her! πŸ™‚ I loved how you described “best words are not said”. Sounds like a perfect teammie with all this goofiness and happiness – and buttcheeks rule!

ahhhh well said…nothing like a good teammate that can click with ya… you see it all the time with Ultra Runners that have a really good pacer (teammate) to take them home at the end, look how long Jurek has been using his pacer (teammate) Dusty.

thanks chica πŸ™‚

ok need to find a pacer/teammate now-ha

6. Holly says:

How amazing for you both!

Wow, an ode to Me?? Nobody has ever done an ode to Moi!! In guyspeak: I love you, man!

Sean- I challenge you to a quad-off any time, skinny-white-boy. I know fer sures that my butt is bigger than yours, too. But that’s a girl thing.

And just for the record:
    Ass = Funny.

Thanks Megs. That was really thoughtfull.

Leslie

Goody rulz! Watching you, Keith, and Leslie, it was easy to see how you were able to survive the long drives to- and- from. You are a very fun and funny gang.
    Teammates! I guess that’s where I flunk. I’m such an incorrigibly solo act. But the value of your “teamship” is not lost on me. Excellent job and excellent company.
    And the quads – very hot. Even the skinny ones nextdoor are very impressive.
    More! More! The race! The camping!

And the quads – very hot. Even the skinny ones nextdoor are very impressive.
    More! More! The race! The camping!

Wow! What a fantastic experience! Beautiful ode πŸ™‚

Also, I am in love with Leslie’s quads. ‘Nuff said.

Top of the mornin’, y’all! Thanks for writing about my teammate!

Bryon- You and I COMPLETELY lucked out in the best possible way! We both can remember observing the teams that weren’t functioning so seamlessly, I’m sure. Nice photo, by the way!

Danni- Absolutely our friendship will now go beyond sport, without a doubt!

Sean- It might be just a little bit risky to pin your 135 pound self’s quads against Leslie’s. Just sayin’. πŸ™‚ If you missed Leslie’s arse it’s because you didn’t spend enough time with her because she was quite generous with her arse-viewing. And, my quads are puny? Ouch!

Olga- Aren’t her quads the best? I, too, think Sean is treading in some murky waters with his challenge. πŸ˜‰

Bob- After your most recent adventure, I’d agree that, yes, you might benefit from a teammate and pacer. πŸ™‚ Hope you’re doing well with your recovery!

Holly- You are so very lucky to have local access to Leslie! I envy you that! πŸ™‚

Leslie- You’re welcome and it’s all true! Oh, the Sean-Leslie quad-off is on! This is getting good!

JeffO- Aw, you would have been a great, chuckle-inducing addition to our gaggle of silliness. I can see the joking, silly side of you willing itself to escape. πŸ˜‰ Of course, your son might have protested a bit? Thanks for the quads props, especially to Leslie!

Anne- Yeah, ditto that one on the quad love. They are a gorgeous pair of quads, aren’t they?

Have a great day!