On September 21, 2008, in Nature, by Meghan

“If you have lived, take thankfully the past.” (John Dryden)

Early spring makes long shadows above Paradise Valley (February, 2007).

Summer greenery of the Blacktail Plateau (June, 2005)

Electric Peak begs to be bagged (August, 2006).

Shoshone Lake shines bright on a bluebird summer day (July, 2005).

The loud and strong Osprey Falls in fall (October, 2006)

The frigid Gallatin Mountains in mid-winter (March, 2008)

Moonrise over the hills behind my house (December, 2007)

Thank you for long trails that switchback to high places and yield heart-stopping, soul-filling views. Thanks for the gooey, I’m-a-kid-again mud that flings and flails from trail shoe treads on warm, spring days. Thank you for the yipping coyotes, the bugling elk, the howling wolves, and the hooting Great Horned Owl that sits high in the cottonwood trees around my house. Thank you for the sweet perfume of summer wildflowers in high-elevation fields. Thanks for roaring snowmelt streams and their cold, clear drinking water during unexpectedly warm spring trail runs.

Thank you for being an ecosystem robust with predators, no matter how often I almost wish they weren’t out there. Thank you for thick coverings of winter time snow that pad and quiet the world so that it seems as if you are the only soul on earth. Thanks for delicate tundra flowers growing from tiny crevices in an otherwise rocky world. Thank you for stolen glances of shy black bear cubs, bird’s eye views of ospreys hunting fish, and unending gazes of big sky sunsets.

Thank you, Yellowstone.

Tagged with:

13 Responses to “Thank You, Yellowstone”

1. Hart says:

Nicely said. As I finished reading this I looked up just in time to see the “Welcome to Utah” sign with the old skool ski jumper on it. I might have to write a “thank you Seattle” blog.

Beautifully said, Meghan. It must be hard to let go…

3. mtnrunR says:

very nice. thank you.
    tom

4. Leslie's Keith says:

Meghan:

Your blog always makes me realize what we have…and maybe I better start ‘thanking’ Banff for all it gives me! Your post said it all…

Love,

Keith

5. Trail Goat says:

Wow, so much for which to be thankful… and yet, so many beautiful things still awaiting your gaze!

Really nice. 🙂 When do you leave for good? I’m going to be in Bozeman in a couple weeks. . .

7. Roslyn says:

And thank you, Meghan, for making it come alive for the rest of us.

Hi!

Matt- Were you reading my blog and driving?! You definitely should do a “Thanks Seattle” post.

Michelle- Thanks!

Tom- Thanks to you, too! And, hi! So nice to hear from you! What’s new with you?

Keith- You have a lot to be thankful for, this I know from first-hand experience with your life. What a good piece of life you have!

Bryon- So true!

Danni- Thanks! Unfortunately I’m leaving this weekend, so we’ll just have to run together somewhere else someday. 😉

Roslyn- How kind of you, thank you!

I saw the photos this morning, but on my tiny iPhone screen. Had to come back. There is no shortage of beauty in the Big Y. I will miss your great pix.

10. saschasdad says:

Ah, that’s so sweet, Meghan. I know Yellowstone is going to miss you and is already looking forward to your first visit back. I’m sure Yellowstone has called Yosemite to warn him of you!

Thank you Yellowstone for Meghan and Buffalo Jams!!!

Hi!

JeffO- Don’t worry, in less than a week I’ll be posting Yosemite photos. Wow, that’s a weird thing to say!

Sean- Wait, why does Yosemite need to be warned of lil’ ol’ me? 🙂

Leslie- So glad you got to visit me and the bison in Yellowstone and soon you will be visiting me and Half Dome in Yosemite! Yeah!

Meghan

13. Dan says:

Meghan –

Did you really say Thank You for the snow?! That isn’t how I remember it…

Hey, I’m thankful for Meghan. I sang a mournful John Gorka song to myself all day Thursday in your honor, as my household said good-bye to the park just for the weekend. You’re the best, and I’m glad we had the pleasure of knowing you for a while.

Mrs Spumoni’s Amanuensis