There’s No Place Like Home

On October 9, 2008, in Lifestyle, by Meghan

Half Dome doesn't look too much like a Half Dome from its backside!

The view from the top of Half Dome is like no other.

A certain astute individual recently remarked upon what I perceive to be both my greatest weakness and strength wrapped neatly into a singular character trait: I don’t have a place that I call home. Some have told me that this is a mark of immaturity, that my young-person sense of adventure continues to override my adult-esque homemaking instinct. Others say that it reflects an advanced ability to embrace change and adaptation, and to just plain try new things.

To tell you the absolute truth, I have no idea why I am this way! I’ll for certain say that it is sufficiently impossible to set my gaze upon the grey-hued granite cliffs and domes of Yosemite National Park, to glance briefly at well-graded switch-backing trails that rise smartly from Yosemite Valley, to lock eyes with a black bear who is with its teeth cracking a high Sierra acorn as a matter of seeming discourse, or to fondly view the sinewy, muscled arms and chests of Yosemite’s omnipresent climber population and to not think that I am at least rounding the bend of home.

However, if you truly know me, and if you could see my current existence, you would know that there is no way that I could call what I have right this moment a home, despite all of that other really cool stuff mixed in. There are a few ridiculously bad things about my world that I dare not begin explanation here. I do, however, know that I am of the optimistic breed, so I am presently following life’s crookedest trail to see what adventures lie ahead. I have confidence that persistence will pay off, and good changes will come.

Speaking of trails, the trails are fabulous in and around Yosemite National Park. But, really, I can’t say I was expecting any less. And the scenery, my lord, the scenery! The views are like heavenly gifts that have been created to remind us that the world is immense and humanity is but the tiniest of speck of existence in this world. I’ve done just a bit of exploring in this awesome wilderness so far, including my first run up Half Dome. I’ve included two pictures in this entry from that run, just to whet your appetite for what’s out here. I apologize for the photos being so-danged huge, and I hope they will load anyways!

I’ve thought a few times about clicking my heels Wizard of Oz style and wishing myself into a perfect life situation. Yosemite National Park and its surroundings are an insane place and I hope that I will soon find my niche here, so I’m not shopping for ruby slippers just yet. Until then, I could sure use all the positive thoughts and energies you’ve got.

Tagged with:

14 Responses to “There’s No Place Like Home”

1. Trail Goat says:

Meghan,
    I’ve overnighted the positive energy. You should be able to pick it up after you go for a sweet trail run tomorrow!

hey hon!

good luck settling in. i know it always takes me some time!!! it will be alllll good.

Oh, Meghan, don’t you remember? Home is where the heart is. And right now your heart is with you in a beautiful spot. Who cares whether others think you should be settling down? I think that you are on a grand adventure, and that those who want you to put down roots are jealous. It’s hard to leave friends and try new things, but life is so rich when you do. I don’t regret settling down in Puyallup and building a life for our kids and ourselves – not one bit, but I do recognize that in doing so, there are adventures I have missed out on. I think you have to follow your heart, and where ever it leads you, and for however long it lands there, make that your home.

I think things will be awesome. You are going places (as they say) in CA 🙂

Meg,

Perhaps your challenge on that winding trail will be to adequately describe in words the bold breathless beauty of the Yosemite area. It would seem an impossible task to paint those marvelous views with words but somehow I feel that you will do more than try, you will succeed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There’s some positive energy. Let me know if you need more!

Eric

BTW – Heard you had a little rock slide in the park yesterday. Hope you were far away from the slide when it happend!

Eric

I was thinking today… I never seem to feel like I’ve rooted. I did the marriage thing, I have a kid who will be graduating high school in a couple of years, but even that didn’t tame me. I spend about 20% of my current life living out of the back of my CR-V. Before my current job, I never had a job longer than 3 years. Now I’ve had this job 7 years and I keep warning my employer that I never unpacked my bags.

Too many think life is “settling down”, but that sounds to me too much like “waiting to die”.
    Life was meant to be lived. You can’t wait for it to happen. Life has to be chased down. And as you corner it and grasp it, it can’t be held onto, like a lover can. It’s too ethereal. Life is a moving target that can never be nailed down.
    I know it must be hard, but don’t fight it. When the roller coaster gets to the top of that first big hill, don’t push back – lean forward!
    If old ways don’t work out, let go of them and adopt new ways that work for your new life in your new place.
    You have more than enough energy! Git er dun!

JeffO has some good wisdom. On my side, only when I moved to Portland did I feel home…and that was when I hit 35. That said, and in a wake of my next move, I still will call OR home, but it doesn’t stop me from adventures. Embrace!

9. Alisha says:

Yay Yosemite!! That is all.

10. Tom says:

Meghan; Good to have you back online and what a spot! enjoy the trails (and life)

Dang, you are one articulate thang! Meaning, you have a way with words. It looks like you are enjoying the first explorations of your new home and area. The question is: does your definition of home include a sea foam green shack in the boonies or not?!?

12. CoyoteGirl says:

Wherever you go, there you are…

I think that’s a fair assessment of home. Not being rooted to one certain place on this earth is not a sign of immaturity, on the contrary I think it’s a sign of deep maturity. You’re a citizen of the world and see yourself as such.

Enjoy Yosemite – and keep posting those beautiful pictures!

t

13. Anonymous says:

coyote girl said it best. you and your tribe are at home wherever you go. reading, not commenting, but reading all the time,corrado

Alright y’all, you say such nice things and here I am unable to say thank you in a timely manner because I can’t get on the Internet. Me thinks that none of you will see my thank yous. However, thank you!

Bryon- I did pick up that positive energy via FedEx, thanks so much!

Audrey- You are right on so many levels. Thanks, girl!

Michelle- You always have words of wisdom for me, thank you. I wish I could thank you in person. Someday again. 🙂

Danni- You’re right, it will all be fine. Fine and dandy. 🙂 Thanks!

Eric- Words sometimes can’t describe what I’m feeling for this place, and that’s shocking (Me speechless, I mean.). Thanks for the ++++++++++ness! Oh, and I avoided death and maiming during both rock slides, thanks for asking!

JeffO- You’re sooooooooo right, I can’t even express how right you are. Thanks!!!!!!! 🙂

Olga- Yes, I will embrace, thanks!

Alisha- Hi lady! Thanks for stopping by to say hello!

Tom- Thanks! I’m glad to be here and I appreciate your well wishes.

Leslie- Darlin’, thanks! And, yes the boonies house has everything to do with it, but you already know that. 🙂 See you soon!

Coyotegirl- Hi! Thanks for the kind, kind thoughts. 🙂 You are a wise woman.

Corrado- Well, hello, stranger! Thanks for commenting and your thoughts as well. 🙂