My First "Long Run" Since Injury

On August 21, 2009, in Injury, Running, by Meghan

I’m elated to report that I’m running again with regularity and WITHOUT PAIN. I move slow; I trod daintily; but I do I count my lucky stars with every single step. Some days, I think my return to running is maddenly slothful. Other days, I think, “Holy crap! I just did what?!” Mostly, I feel so joyful and grateful to be doing what makes my mind and heart feel so freaking good.

I plan to write later all about the details of this injury, the medical treatments I received for it, my healing process, and my return to running. I learned so many (good and bad) things along the way that would be useful to others suffering from plantar fasciitis. The biggest thing that I learned, however, is patience. The healing of an effed up foot just plain takes time.

In terms of the specifics of what’s going on right now, I ran about 25 miles last week. This week, I’m pushing for a miraculous 30 miles. Last week, I did a “long run” of 2:15, 9.5 miles with about 1800 feet of elevation gain up in the Yosemite National Park high country at just up to just over 10,000 feet. Here are a few highlights, and they all boil down to the fact that I was RUNNING:

I RAN on this trail (This is the John Muir Trail in the vicinity of the Cathedral Lakes.).

I RAN past this lake (That's one of the Cathedral Lakes.).

I RAN by this mountain (Can you guess that it's called Cathedral Peak?).

I RAN past this deer.

(Actually, it scared the absolute crap out of me because it was making a huge amount of noise behind a glacial erratic boulder. I was convinced that Sasquatch was going to step out from behind the boulder or something, but it was really this dainty deer. After it left, I went behind the boulder to see what the fuss was about, and I found a huge pile of deer turds. Perhaps I scared the crap out of it, also?).

Oh, and this is me, RUNNING!

Watch out peeps, I’m back and, boy oh boy, am I happy!

9 Responses to “My First "Long Run" Since Injury”

Yay!!! Why were you making so much noise? Were you singing songs about how much you love running?

I bet your slow pace is still faster than me.

2. Dan says:

I've had PF for 2 years and 1 month now. It's getting better slowly but I'm very interested in hearing what you are doing or have done for treatment of your injury.
    Dan

3. sea legs girl says:

I am so happy for you. It is just such an amazing feeling to return to running after injury! I know you will be back to running quite long distances in no time. It is at least my belief that we have this sort of body memory that allows long distance runners to return to long distance running quickly after an injury (even a many-month injury). I'll be curious to see if this is the case for you.

4. Rick Gaston says:

That's awesome. Being able to run after an injury is a wonderful thing. 9.5 miles and 1800 ft. is great progress. When you are back to full strength, come over and join us in one of our races.

Yay, Meg!!! You are back! You and me both:) Isn't it awesome?

6. Bob - BlogMYruns.com says:

I ran about 25 miles last week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    hmm Sounds like one of my training weeks without coming off an injury – lol ahhhhh I really need to log more miles I think… I think people who walk 5k's train more than me 🙂

Welcome back Hun, good to see u getting dirty again !!!

Trail UP & DoWn BaBY!

Glad to hear it Meghan!

Great news! Looking forward to more Meghan-adventures!

Hi y'all! Thanks, everyone, for the very nice things you've said!

Danni- The DEER was making noise (I don't know why.) and it scared me because I thought it was a huge, scary animal!

Dan- PF sucks and I'm SO SORRY you've had the pain for so long! I can't completely sympathize with you!

Sea Legs- You're right. Already I'm running amounts that shock the shite out of my physio. 🙂

Rick- You bet I'm coming over to your side of the state soon!

Olga- Hi! You bet it's awesome and, wow, I'm happy for you, too!

Bob- Yes, more mileage for 100 mile training might be good. 🙂 Then again, you seem to be doing alright!

Backofpack- THANKS! Yipster!

JeffO- Now, YOU get better!

Thanks again, all! YOU ROCK!