On Relationships To Running

On January 31, 2010, in Friends, Running, by Meghan

Unless you’re one of my non-running family members or friends who reads my blog just because, you’re likely here because you have some sort of long-standing relationship with running. Many of you have been married to running for years, decades, entire lifespans, nearly.

Do you recall the time in your life when you met the sport? Much like human relationships, did you have an initial, impassioned affair with running? Did that first love later evolve into a long-term, comforted connection with the sport? Here and there, have particular training runs and/or races punctuated your bond to running and infused it with the bliss that reminds you of why you love what you do?

I have been spending some running time with a friend who is in the throes of an early, excited running affair.

Meet Laura: She and I met on perhaps my second day at Yosemite National Park. I think that her verdict on me was still out that day, but I right-away adored her dry sense of humor and flashing, thoughtful eyes. Laura and Yosemite are now intertwined mainstays, and I can’t imagine one without the other.

Meet Laura’s relationship to running: It seems that Laura has stopped and started her relationship with running lots of times. Sputtered, sloppy first experiences chased her back into sports with which she was more comfortable. On what I think was an intoxicated, late 2009 night, Laura rekindled her running relationship by setting a goal to run a marathon. She’s now been working towards her goal for 1 month.

Laura gets her move on during her weekly long run.

Yesterday, Laura and I did our respective long runs together in the green, twisting Merced River Canyon of the Sierra foothills. I suspect Laura’s a natural born runner, possessing a secret talent that is just beginning to reveal itself.

Long-run running along the rails-to-trails trail in the Merced River Canyon

The route was a rails-to-trails trail that once served as a railroad line bringing supplies and tourists to the entrance of Yosemite National Park. Laura and I shared the trail with the endearing yet slightly toxic California Newt, my 12-pound Marathon des Sables training pack, and the humid warmth of a foothills winter day.

She's too fast even for the camera!

Laura will run her first marathon in May, and I have no doubt that she will experience overwhelming success. I’m overjoyed she is sharing with me her experience, and that I, thus, have the opportunity to feel just a hint of the excited new love she possesses for the sport.

7 Responses to “On Relationships To Running”

1. Gretchen says:

It's contagious, isn't it? ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Alison says:

Laura's really lucky to have you to (re)introduce her to running! I can't imagine a better mentor. Great post!

3. Anonymous says:

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

4. Rick Gaston says:

I was like Laura, my running stopped and started. I actually hated it. Hated it in high school when we had to run before wrestling practice (mere 2.5 miles). Hated it in college when I tried to do it for exercise, hated it post college when I tried to run to lose weight. Then one day it all changed and we've been together since.

Glad you have another person to run with and like Alison said, she's lucky to have someone like you to answer her questions and guide her through it, keep her from going too fast. Someone who was a cross country coach and an ultra-marathoner.

5. Anonymous says:

Beautiful insight Meghan. Speaking of relationships…. I hear you're heading back to Morocco?? Planning on actually winning outright this year?

Bill H

Gretchen- You bet it's contagious, addictive, adoration-al. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Alison- Well, hello there! Thank you for the kind compliment. Goooooo Laura! I hope you're doing well!

Anonymous- Good luck in school!

Rick- We all have our running stories, and how we came to the sport. Let's not scare Laura though, with our neuroses on running. She may find them on her own. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Goooooooo Laura!

Bill- Howdy stranger? You have big things going on in your life right now, hope all is well with that. I'm returning to MdS with the same excitement and trepidation as I did last year. Oh and the very same conservative approach. ๐Ÿ™‚ Be well!

7. The Salty One says:

I can totally relate to Laura (for a variety of reasons ๐Ÿ˜‰ I wish her all the best on the path to her first marathon! That first one is such a special thing!

On another note, how the heck are you? It's been much much too long!