World, Unbounded

On November 12, 2010, in Lifestyle, Work, by Meghan

Nose down to the road of life (photo by Bryon Powell)

Have you before found yourself in a moment of life in which you have nearly no externally or internally-derived constraints? In which 1,001 plausible paths diverge into yellow, green, and even purple woods (Thanks, Mr. Frost.)? Where opportunities wave past like leaves on a breezy fall day? Where your mind breeds new ideas so fast that it’s dangerous to stray far from a notepad and pen? In which you are, literally, nose down into the open road of life so that you can taste it, smell it, touch it, be it?

I’m experiencing exactly this, an unbounded encounter with a wider world than I ever dreamed existed. That’s not true, no. I have intangibly understood there to be a grand planet of option and opportunity. This is but the first time that I’ve lived it, right down to the marrow inside of my bones.

Good griefs I’m a lucky girl. Not everyone on this green and blue earth has  pulled the long straw of birth into a free country and to a good family with a enough resources to get by. I’m also an awesomely supported lady. My loved ones are my rocks, purveying a strong foundation upon which I can stand and grow. And, the last bit that makes this equation is my own courage. This giant leap into dreamland required the trappings of my whole heart and a rock-solid belief that, when I reached the void, I would fly.

As I kid, I often dreamed that I could fly like some sort of raptor. In my dreams, I looked like myself, with human arms spread wide, soaring and diving, moving just like a bird of prey. Turns out, this real-life stuff is like my little-kid dreams: I really do fly.

Psst, I dare you to do it, too. I promise you that this flying stuff is beautiful.

Tagged with:

8 Responses to “World, Unbounded”

1. Gretchen says:

I’m so glad you are flying, my friend. I have before been where you are now. ‘So lovely,’ is my assessment. And I, too, have thought many times how lucky I am to have been born into my life situation. ‘Tis a good thing to appreciate.
    I do have to add that I truly missed your presence last weekend. It was an amazing trip, to be sure, but I can imagine at least one thing that would have made it better. (Hint: That’s you as a running partner.) Be warned, next time I won’t let you off the hook so easily. 😉

• Meghan says:

Gretchen, thanks for the love, laydee! I was *so* sad to have not been there last weekend, I hope you and all my Zion friends know that. Love to you!

2. Keith says:

Just a note to let you know I’m reading, enjoying, and am so happy for you. Loved the last post on Yosemite…and LOVED reading about your ability to FLY!

Be Free!

Love,

Keith

3. Jenna says:

Hey Meghan.

I don’t know you and never read your blog before or anything, but i found it today, and i need to talk to you.

I’m 25. A year ago I set off to see the world and two months and two countries later, I did what we all secretly hope for, I feel completely madly deeply in love…. with someone from the Kansas town I had just said goodbye to forever. I moved home.

We had a year. A passionate whirlwind of love. I never got a job, because I knew I didn’t want to be back in Kansas for good yet; I had been ripped out of my travels so soon, and I wanted one more little jaunt before I “settled down.” Long story short: I decided to travel back to Africa, a place I loved, for a few months just to remember who I was and what was important to me, then the plan was to return to Lawrence, KS for my man whose dreams are rooted there (succesful band, blah blah blah). I know you are thinking we grew apart, the distance was too much, etc. etc. cliche. But we didn’t. Our love was strong, too strong maybe… We both figured out we weren’t ready for the commitment we were about to offer each other. He needed to be able to love his music more than a woman. I needed to be free to go anywhere in the world like I’d planned. I flew home to him. We broke up. We are doing the most brave and loving thing that we can possibly do for each other, and I’m dealing with it one day at a time.

However, I reach out to you because I find myself, as of January 2011 (im in africa til then) completely free. I have no job, no home, no commitments, and absolutely no idea what to do.

Where do I want to go? Everywhere. What do I want to do? Everything. This is not an exaggeration… But I do not feel free to fly right now. I feel paralyzed by fear, taunted by indecision. Scared out of my mind.

I don’t have a question for you I suppose… I just needed to tell someone who might actually understand, since its a situation most people never have to face (choose to face, really).

Peace,
    Jenna

• Meghan says:

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for sharing your story, as its an intense one. I wish you good luck when you make you move of freedom.

I’m in my early 30s, not too much older than you, but I feel really good about having this little bit of freedom in my life, after working hard for the last 10 years as a “grown-up.” For certain, it’s a place of limbo and I wouldn’t want to stay here forever, but it’s a good break.

Good luck to you!
      Meghan

4. Rebecca says:

Love your World, Unbounded piece. So inspiring. Really gave me a lift. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.