To See A Dream

On May 4, 2011, in Lifestyle, Work, by Meghan

About 20 months ago, what seems like a geologic epoch at least, Bryon arrived home with an announcement. I don’t recall the precise manner in which he revealed his news, but it was something about as casual as, “I’ve been asked to write a book.” With that, in the space between the nonchalance of a sentence, a grand daddy of a dream was born.

I don’t know what you know about writing books, maybe more than the nothing I knew before the man with whom I dwell began writing his? Now I know: writing a book is the hardest of work.

It is a smith-ing of words into phrases and sentences and, eventually, hopefully, if the atmospheric pressure is right and you’ve got karma in the bank, chapters. It is the constant pressure, perhaps duress, of production that lasts from the feathery light of pre-dawn to the black shadows and stars of one, two, and three in the morning. It is a labor of love carried by the soul during even brief respites from writing because, well, the dream of a book with a glossy cover on the shelf of some tiny bookstore on Main Street doesn’t go away when you shut your eyes. It is a job that rasps away at the rest of life and gobbles it up like a hungry Muppet until there is nothing left but bad posture in a computer chair, stale breadcrumbs on a desktop, and a ghost of a human staring at blue computer glow.

But then! But then! Salvation. Almost.

There was a February day when Bryon walked out of his office and said it was done, all done. That he had clicked the “send” button and mailed a manuscript to his publisher by way of cyberemailheaven. We jumped and danced, but for just one moment because he was so tired. Then we did what I think you’re supposed to do after you write a book, we hopped in the car and went to Death Valley National Park.

In case you’re still wondering, planning, scheming your own authorial adventure, you should know that when you’re done writing a book, you’re done still writing a book. There is The Process. Editing, editing, editing until a mishmash of broken sentences comes whizzing out your arse. In The Process there is more stuff, but I can’t tell you much about it because Bryon did it all in the witching hours of night while I snored away in another room.

Sweep forward the annals of time to last weekend, when Bryon launched his book into the midair of reality via a party at a tiny bookstore on Main Street. The day was lovely, fitting of the finishing of this grand daddy dream. People drank tea and asked for special messages to be written in their books. A young man worked the strings of a viola into some bluegrass tunes.Β  A child danced, a baby grinned with apple-shaped cheeks, friends hugged. A man named Bryon smiled the widest of smiles.

I tell you: watching someone write a book makes me love the books on my shelves even more, knowing now the toils their authors endured.

I tell you one more thing: to see a dream be born, to seed-let itself into the heart of a human being, to growgrowgrowprovideterrortoyourlovedoneandgrow, and to be realized, completely realized by someone you love, I know nothing better in the world.

Congratulations, Bryon!

"Relentless Forward Progress" is born.

iRunFar.com bumper stickers are ready to party.

A local author Bryon now is.

Bryon launches "Relentless Forward Progress."

This author is always ready to run.

Nick Halliday entertains the crowd with bluegrass music.

Nick Halliday relaxes between sets.

Bryon talks with Leanne, another local runner.

A grateful thanks to Ericah and Randy, owners of Park City's Atticus Coffee, Books, and Teahouse, who supported one man's dream and made a party possible.

25 Responses to “To See A Dream”

1. Gretchen says:

Yay, Bryon!

Awesome. Awesome! AWESOME!

2. Nick says:

Awesome post Meghan!! Thanks for posting my performance!

Good for him to make it happen. It is certainly exciting! And would you look how he cleaned up, wow!

4. Sara says:

A man named Bryon smiled the widest of smiles.

Love that. πŸ™‚ What a great team you two are.

Nick, Olga, and Sara, thanks to each of you for supporting Bryon’s book!

6. jeff says:

three piece suit and running shoes. what a wonderful goofball. bryon is the best.

7. Derrick says:

Great post. It’s been fun following Bryon’s ‘progress’ and seeing the end result….okay, well not necessarily the end, but seeing the book on the shelves and reading it.

8. Steve says:

NICE write up and pics! The book is pretty cool too! πŸ™‚

Oh, love the red running shoes!
    I went to a Royal Wedding party in a tux last Sat. and I wore my black Vibram Five Fingers.
    What else are runners supposed to wear with a suit, right? Ha!
    Congrats to Bryon – I know his book will sell very well.

• Meghan says:

Perfect outfit, I think you had JeffO. Hey, I’ve been meaning to connect with you, did you see your photo in the Runner’s World Trail Issue? It’s there with a credit to you. Rock on!

10. danni says:

Yeah Bryon!

11. Paige T. says:

Oh my gosh, how amazing is all of this?! I so was wishing we were in Utah so we could have joined the party! Luckily, some friends of ours picked up an autographed copy of the book for us, YAY!!

Big, big, BIG congrats to Bryon!

P.S. love his outfit!

danni and Paige, thanks, ladies! Sure wish you could have been here, too, but luckily you could play along online! πŸ™‚ Paige, the baby with the apple-shaped cheeks, that was the child of your friends who bought you the book. Yay, I got to meet your friends!

13. Sara is so right! What a great team you two are. Such a monumental achievement for your superstar-author-hard-working-honey-bun-runnin’-fool. Hard work and perseverance really do pay off. I’m sure you’ve heard it – but sounds like writing a book is a LOT like running and Ultra. Relentless Forward Progress, indeed! Big Congrats and even bigger hugs to Bryon.

• Meghan says:

Hearts, Leslie, big hearts! Writing a book is like running an ultra, but one that goes on and on for about, well, two years. πŸ˜‰

14. Meghan, I just got through reading and reviewing it. I loved your afterword on “beyond-category adventuring.”
    Having shelved my book project after a torturous, tortuous process of writing sample chapters, fleshing out an outline and developing a proposal, I can really relate to what you write above.
    Bryon is very lucky to have you as an editor. Now it’s your turn–YOU should write a book!

• Meghan says:

Sarah, thanks for all of your support, including your book review. I do hope that, should you decide you wish to write you book, your process goes as painlessly as possible. After watching one person do it, I now understand the deep challenges! Someday I hope to write a book, maybe after this home has recovered from this one. πŸ˜‰

15. Matt Hart says:

great post. great team.

16. Xavi says:

I am reading now the book and I have enjoyed this post about its making of πŸ™‚ But the best of all is that the book is really good and particularly useful! For example, I am now in the chapters of the training plans and this is the first time I see in a book concrete advices on how to adapt a training plan to our personal needs. Well done and greetings from Barcelona!

Matt and Xavi, a grateful thanks to each of you. Happy running!