2011, Whoosh!

On December 26, 2011, in Adventure, Friends, Lifestyle, by Meghan

When I try to wrap my brain cells around 2011, the whole thing flies by behind my eyes in a blur of whoosh. The year was good, so good.

Meghan M. Hicks and Bryon Powell in the San Juan Mountains (Bryon Powell photo credit).

To tease individual experiences out of the memories fly-by, I combed through my digital photo albums documenting the year and assembled a slide show. I know these things are old school now, in this era of GoPro madness. What can I say, I’ll always be a bit technologically clueless.

In 2011, I heard one phrase more than any other in reaction to my life’s happenings, “You’re so blessed/lucky/fortunate, Meghan.” And everyone is, in part, right. I’ll always feel blessed to have been born into an amazing family. I am lucky forever for the certain folks who have chosen to make me their friends. I am fortunate that, every once in a while, an opportunity really does just fall from the proverbial sky.

But the world according to Meghan is not exclusively about circumstance. I believe that life is exactly what one makes of it. I want my dreams to become my reality, so I actively seek opportunities to make my real-world life better than what happens when I shut my eyes to sleep. We’re not talking about a complex algorithm of making things happen here, either. It’s just me (and, more often than not, my family and friends) deciding to do the things that make us happy.

Simple that, life is what you make of it, so use every darn minute of it. Thank you to the people who helped make my 2011 an explosion of awesome.

Tagged with:

22 Responses to “2011, Whoosh!”

You are an explosion of awesome <3

2. Wendy says:

Thank you for sharing Meghan! What a great year you had with family and friends.

3. Rhielle says:

Amazing that you can condense a year’s worth of adventure into 3:00 of video. I hope to be able to take to an adventure with you in 2012!

4. Jamie Frink says:

Great photos! What a fun year.

5. mary says:

Great commentary and slide show. Absoluteley beautiful!

6. Oh wow, that’s wonderful! You went so many places this past year! I enjoyed seeing those amazing sand dune pics again. You capture and cover — both on your feet and as a reporter– a diversity of geography and topography that’s stunning. Happy new year — but you gave yourself a tough act to follow :-)

7. Loved watching the video. Thanks for sharing, Meghan. May 2012 be an even better year for you filled with everything awesome!

8. I wish I knew the stories behind all of your great photographs Meghan but even without that, just wanted to say, ‘wow, beautiful.’ and thanks for making my GoPro feel like a soulless machine. Just kidding – loves me GoPro!! Great job you!

9. Leanne Seckinger says:

Love it! Can’t wait to see what 2012 brings! Thanks for sharing!

10. Ewa says:

Encore for 2012 and then some.

11. Mike Place says:

That made me happy just to watch. A Happy New Year to you and Bryon and wishes for many more adventures to come!

12. Paige says:

Yes, I agree with Danni, you are indeed an explosion of awesome. Beautiful recap! And I LOVE that song…who is it?

13. Julie says:

Hmmmm, outdoors much? Love it Meghan.

• Meghan says:

Julie, wow, you’re well enough to be surfing my blog. SO HAPPY to see you here! I’ve been thinking about you. I think I *almost* live outside. ;) Take care of yourself, cousin.

14. I love it! I’m so glad you decide to share the bits of your awesome life. Make the most of every minute, that’s for darn sure :)

15. Irene says:

Thanks for taking us with you this year. I enjoy all your posts! Happy New Year!!!

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for coming along on the ride and for your contributions to the adventure that is life! It is people like you who make the journey so fun. I already have a feeling that 2012 is going to be epic, so hold onto your hats.

17. [...] Blog 2011, Whoosh! [...]